Author Topic: Floating a Ceiling with air ducts & lights  (Read 3287 times)

Tim Donovan

Floating a Ceiling with air ducts & lights
« on: December 27, 2002, 10:50:37 PM »

Hi, I am interested in creating a floating ceiling using the SSP clips & MLV.  In my ceiling I have heating vents and light fictures in the ceiling.   How would this impact the use of the floating ceiling?   PS, I understand there will be regional differences ( I am on the east coast in DC), but is there a ballpark sq ft. price guess for an installed floating ceiling?

boborther

Re: Floating a Ceiling with air ducts & lights
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 01:53:01 AM »
:
: Hi, I am interested in creating a floating ceiling using the SSP clips & MLV.  In my ceiling I have heating vents and light fictures in the ceiling.   How would this impact the use of the floating ceiling?   PS, I understand there will be regional differences ( I am on the east coast in DC), but is there a ballpark sq ft. price guess for an installed floating ceiling?
TIM,
THE FLOATED CEILING WILL BE BREACHED BY THE USE OF RECESSED LIGHTING. THERE IS NO EFFECTIVE WAY TO SOUNDPROOF THE CANS WHICH CONTAIN THE LIGHTING FIXTURES. (THEY GET VERY HOT, AND HAVE VENTILATION HOLES THAT CANNOT BE PLUGGED UP) MY SUGGESTION IS TO AXE THE RECESSED LIGHTING AND GO WITH TRACK LIGHTING INSTEAD.
THE HEAT DUCTING SHOULD NOT PRESENT A MAJOR PROBLEM UNLESS IT EXTENDS DOWN BELOW THE CEILING JOISTS. KEEP IN MIND TIM, THAT YOU WILL LOSE A LOT OF VALUABLE DEAD AIR SPACE BECAUSE OF THE HEAT DUCTING.
 AS FAR AS PRICING THE FLOATED CEILING USING THE SOUND CLIPS AND THE (MLV) IT IS QUITE DIFFICULT TO GIVE YOU A SQUARE FOOT PRICING AS THERE ARE SO MANY VARIABLES, SUCH AS THE NUMBER OF SOUND CLIPS NEEDED AND THE SPACING YOU WILL BE DOING, AS WELL AS A HOST OF OTHER THINGS THAT MAKE GIVING YOU AN ACCURATE COST ESTIMATE VIRTUALY IMPOSSIBLE.
SUFFICE IT TO SAY, YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK AS FAR AS SOUNDPROOFING YOUR CEILING. WHEN YOU ARE READY, PLEASE GIVE US A CALL HERE AT THE SUPER SOUNDPROOFING CO, AND WE'LL BE GLAD TO HELP YOU. THANKS TIM

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723