Author Topic: Loud Bass music from neighbor  (Read 3728 times)

Ken W

Loud Bass music from neighbor
« on: December 29, 2002, 08:25:24 PM »
We have wood siding on our house and Im wondering what would be the best way to reduce or hopefully eliminate the bass vibations from the neighbors music. I work as a  commercial drywall/lather/carpenter and was thinking of using Exterior Insulation & Finish Systems (EIFS)
Would there be a less expensive way to go??

boborther

Re: Loud Bass music from neighbor
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 10:22:48 PM »
: We have wood siding on our house and Im wondering what would be the best way to reduce or hopefully eliminate the bass vibations from the neighbors music. I work as a  commercial drywall/lather/carpenter and was thinking of using Exterior Insulation & Finish Systems (EIFS)
: Would there be a less expensive way to go??
KEN,
THE WOOD SIDING PRESENTS A PROBLEM IN THAT THE WOOD TRANSMITS SOUNDS NEARLY 1200%
YOU HAVE A FEW SOUNDPROOFING OPTIONS FROM THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSE. ONE WOULD BE TO FLOAT THE WALLS USING EITHER THE SSP SOUND CLIPS OR RESILIENT CHANNELS. THESE METHODS ARE EXPLAINED IN DETAIL ON THE WEBSITE.
ANOTHER METHOD WOULD BE THE USE OF THE SSP SILENCER FLOORING, OR BETTER KNOWN AS " MASS LOADED VINYL". THIS MATERIAL WOULD BE STAPLED TO YOUR EXISTING DRYWALL, AND THEN YOU WOULD SANDWICH IN THIS VINYL WITH ANOTHER LAYER OF 5/8" FIRE CODE DRYWALL, TAPE, MUD, AND PAINT AS USUAL.
NOW KEN, IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO RESIDE THE HOUSE USING VINYL SIDING OR SOMETHING OTHER THAN WOOD, YOU COULD ACTUALLY STAPLE A LAYER OF THE(MLV) TO THE BACKER BOARDS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE HOUSE PRIOR TO INSTALLING NEW SIDING. OF COURSE YOU WOULD NEED TO CAULK ALL OF THE SEAMS AND AROUND THE PERIMETER OF THE (MLV) BUT THIS WOULD SAVE YOU SOME INTERIOR SPACE AND A PERHAPS A MESS INSIDE OF YOUR HOUSE.
I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU KEN. PLEASE GIVE US A CALL WHEN YOU ARE READY TO DO THE DEED. KEEP IN MIND THAT THE (MLV) IS ALSO A VAPOR BARRIER. THANKS KEN.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723