Author Topic: Room Closet to Iso booth  (Read 3530 times)

John Pettis

Room Closet to Iso booth
« on: December 31, 2002, 01:36:37 AM »
I was wondering how could I turn my room closet into a vocal booth for recording. What materials to use? Cost effective of course. Sound Proof the closet I guess you could say. What r good damping materials to put on the walls and ceiling? How thick?

Thanks.

dave

Re: Room Closet to Iso booth
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2002, 03:25:01 AM »
i have found that using cieling tiles (1/2'') thick work best for high sound waves in vocals.
~dave

boborther

Re: Room Closet to Iso booth
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 06:26:57 PM »
: I was wondering how could I turn my room closet into a vocal booth for recording. What materials to use? Cost effective of course. Sound Proof the closet I guess you could say. What r good damping materials to put on the walls and ceiling? How thick?
JOHN,
I AM NOT TOO SURE ABOUT THE ADVICE TO USE CEILING TILES AS A SOUNDPROOFER. THEY ARE GENERALLY CONSIDERED AS "ACOUSTICAL" TILES, WHICH MEANS THEY CONDITION THE SOUND IN A ROOM, BUT DO NOT NECESSARILY "SOUNDPROOF". THE EASIEST AND PROBABLY THE BEST WAY WOULD BE TO LAYER THE WALLS WITH A MATERIAL CALLED
"MASS LOADED VINYL" THIS MATERIAL CAN BE STAPLED TO THE WALLS AND CEILING OF THE CLOSET, AND WOULD PROVIDE SOME VERY GOOD SOUND ISOLATION IN THAT SMALL AREA. YOU WILL NEED TO CAULK ALL THE SEAMS AND AROUND THE PERIMETER OF THE (MLV), AND FOR SOME EXTRA SOUND BLOCKING, YOU COULD SANDWICH IN THE (MLV) WITH ANOTHER LAYER OF DRYWALL.
KEEP IN MIND THAT IT WOULD TAKE NEARLY 4 LAYERS OF 5/8" DRYWALL TO EQUALY THE SOUNDPROOFING OF JUST ONE LAYER OF THE "MASS LOADED VINYL".
THE BOTTOM LINE IS USUALLY A MONEY THING. WELL, THE (MLV) EQUATES TO ABOUT $1.74 PER SQUARE FOOT. NOW CONSIDER THE FACT THAT IT IS ACTUALLY CHEAPER THAN FLOOR TILE, CARPETING, OR EVEN WOOD PARQUET (PERGO). THAT'S PRETTY AMAZING FOR A MATERIAL THAT IS ONLY 1/8" THICK.
JOHN, IF YOU ARE RENTING YOUR PLACE, REMEMBER THAT THIS (MLV) CAN BE REMOVED WHEN YOU MOVE, AND CAN BE REINSTALLED IN YOUR NEW PLACE.
I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION FOR YOUR SOUNDPROOFING PROJECT. THANKS FOR THE POST.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

TRISTAN

CONNECTING MY EQUIPMENT
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 03:08:28 AM »
I'M KIND OF NEW TO  HOME RECORDING AND NEED SOME HELP WITH THE GEAR I HAVE .I JUST PURCHASED A TRITON MUSIC WORKSTATION/SAMPLER, A DELL DIMENSION 2350 WITH A CELERON PROCESSOR AND 6 USB PORTS, A PHONIC MM1002 MIXER, MY MIC IS A AKG C1000S,AND I'M RUNNING ACID 3.0 PRO,AND CUBASE INWIRED ON MY PC WITH WINDOWS XP EVERYONE IS TELLING ME TO HOOK UP DIFFERENTLY BUT I WANT THE RIGHT WAY I KNOW THERE IS A STUDIO JUNKY OUT THERE WILLING TO HELP A NEW COMER PLEASE E-MAIL ME WITH INFO AT(WWW.TTHAMES03@AOL.COM)  PLEASE HELP THE

anything