Author Topic: soundproofing a garage room  (Read 2729 times)

ak

soundproofing a garage room
« on: December 31, 2002, 06:46:32 PM »
I'm building a music room (mostly electric guitar but who knows?) on the far side of an attached garage (my half of the garage).  The room adjacent to the garage is a bedroom.  I'm already into the job and would like to know my options at this point for sound proofing.  The current status of the rooom is: two 2x4 stud walls attached to the existing outer wall of the garage, 5/8" drywall screwed into the frame, fiberglass insulation in the side walls and attic, nothing covering the framing on the outside of the two new walls.
From what I've read here my options might be resiliant channels or some type of sandwich with MLV between two layers for the outer wall.  I'd rather not put up another layer of drywall on the inside.
Any options for sound moving into the attic?
Also, the door from the room opens into the garage and need sound proofing.  It closes onto felt attached to a wooden frame.  Any options for the door?
Thanks,
ak

bjnash

Re: soundproofing a garage room
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2003, 09:26:07 PM »
: I'm building a music room (mostly electric guitar but who knows?) on the far side of an attached garage (my half of the garage).  The room adjacent to the garage is a bedroom.  I'm already into the job and would like to know my options at this point for sound proofing.  The current status of the rooom is: two 2x4 stud walls attached to the existing outer wall of the garage, 5/8" drywall screwed into the frame, fiberglass insulation in the side walls and attic, nothing covering the framing on the outside of the two new walls.
: From what I've read here my options might be resiliant channels or some type of sandwich with MLV between two layers for the outer wall.  I'd rather not put up another layer of drywall on the inside.
: Any options for sound moving into the attic?
: Also, the door from the room opens into the garage and need sound proofing.  It closes onto felt attached to a wooden frame.  Any options for the door?
: Thanks,
: ak

See the article about soundproofing a garage at our page  link below.  This will give you many ideas.  Also info on how to do the door is at:  http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/soundproofing_doors.htm
Paste this link into your browsers address window.  

anything