Author Topic: creaking floor sound from next door neighbor  (Read 4781 times)

Dave

creaking floor sound from next door neighbor
« on: December 31, 2002, 10:22:57 PM »
My apartment living room shares a common wall with the next door neighbor. I suspect it's a walkway on the other side since I can hear my neighbor walking next to the wall all the time. What's bad it's the creaking sound from his poorly maintained wood floor.  What should I do to insulate against this noise?  Should I soundproof my wall or my floor? Currently it's all hardwood floor on either side of the party wall.
Thanks

boborther

Re: creaking floor sound from next door neighbor
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2003, 12:20:06 AM »
: My apartment living room shares a common wall with the next door neighbor. I suspect it's a walkway on the other side since I can hear my neighbor walking next to the wall all the time. What's bad it's the creaking sound from his poorly maintained wood floor.  What should I do to insulate against this noise?  Should I soundproof my wall or my floor? Currently it's all hardwood floor on either side of the party wall.
: Thanks

DAVE,
IF YOUR APARTMENT IS A CONVERSION, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE WOOD FLOORS ARE COMMON TO BOTH APARTMENTS. THIS IS SOMETHING YOU'LL NEED TO CHECK INTO BEFORE I CAN GIVE A DEFINITIVE ANSWER TO YOUR SOUNDPROOFING QUESTIONS.
EITHER WAY, THE CREAKING FLOOR NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED IF POSSIBLE. THERE ARE EITHER LOOSE BOARDS IN THE SUB FLOOR, OR THE HARDWOOD FLOOR IS LOOSE (NAILS COMING OUT).
IN MY ESTIMATION, SOUNDPROOFING YOUR FLOOR WON'T DO MUCH GOOD, ESPECIALLY IF YOUR FLOOR IS CONNECTED TO THE NEIGHBORS FLOOR.
SOUNDPROOFING THE WALL WOULD HELP BUT IF THERE IS A CONNECTION BETWEEN THE FLOORS, THE RESULTS COULD ME MINIMAL.
DAVE, YOU NEED TO DO A LITTLE MORE RESEARCH, AND FIND OUT IF THE HARDWOOD FLOORS ARE CONNECTED, THEN REPOST AND I WILL BE ABLE TO BETTER HELP YOU.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723