Author Topic: Lead sheeting without drywall?  (Read 2684 times)

Thomas

Lead sheeting without drywall?
« on: January 02, 2003, 12:09:22 AM »
My new next-door neighbor plays his stereo and home theatre system loudly.  I talked to him about it and it's a little lower now, but the common wall (hollow plaster) still vibrates.  It's mostly the bass noise that is bothering me.  He already has area carpets as required by my building.  I live in a very small studio apartment and can't afford to lose even 5/8" of my floor area unless it is absolutely necessary.  I own my apartment.
Is it possible to attach the lead sheeting directly to the existing plaster wall like wall paper so that it will be smooth enough paint over it without drywalling first?  Does it wrinkle?  I could run two rolls horizontally as my ceilings are 8'.  How effective would this be?  What would be the best adhesive and method of applying it?
How much MORE sound reduction would be added by applying the lead to a thin sheet of drywall?  I am afraid this would be too complicated and expensive as well as taking up a lot of space.  
Also, would it help to move my free-standing bookcases against the problem wall?
Thanks for your help.

Mike

Re: Lead sheeting without drywall?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 08:49:47 PM »
: My new next-door neighbor plays his stereo and home theatre system loudly.  I talked to him about it and it's a little lower now, but the common wall (hollow plaster) still vibrates.  It's mostly the bass noise that is bothering me.  He already has area carpets as required by my building.  I live in a very small studio apartment and can't afford to lose even 5/8" of my floor area unless it is absolutely necessary.  I own my apartment.
: Is it possible to attach the lead sheeting directly to the existing plaster wall like wall paper so that it will be smooth enough paint over it without drywalling first?  Does it wrinkle?  I could run two rolls horizontally as my ceilings are 8'.  How effective would this be?  What would be the best adhesive and method of applying it?
: How much MORE sound reduction would be added by applying the lead to a thin sheet of drywall?  I am afraid this would be too complicated and expensive as well as taking up a lot of space.  
: Also, would it help to move my free-standing bookcases against the problem wall?
: Thanks for your help.

anything