Author Topic: a basement ceiling that space is important  (Read 2857 times)

Stephen Steward

a basement ceiling that space is important
« on: January 18, 2001, 08:15:07 PM »
I would like to place some sort of sound proofing in the ceiling of my basement, between the floor joists.
Th upper floor is a blank, hardwood, with carpet on top yet the sound from the basement flows.  I am looking for an economical yet effeftive method with out having to drop the ceiling.

bjnash

Re: a basement ceiling that space is important
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2001, 07:19:11 PM »
: I would like to place some sort of sound proofing in the ceiling of my basement, between the floor joists.
: Th upper floor is a blank, hardwood, with carpet on top yet the sound from the basement flows.  I am looking for an economical yet effeftive method with out having to drop the ceiling.
A: This is hard to do, remember, your floor joists are alive with sound energy transmitted to them from the wood floor above!  Wood transmits sound 1200 time better than air, so a air space is the real answer.

stephen

Re: a basement ceiling that space is important
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2001, 08:49:59 PM »
: : I would like to place some sort of sound proofing in the ceiling of my basement, between the floor joists.
: : Th upper floor is a blank, hardwood, with carpet on top yet the sound from the basement flows.  I am looking for an economical yet effeftive method with out having to drop the ceiling.
: A: This is hard to do, remember, your floor joists are alive with sound energy transmitted to them from the wood floor above!  Wood transmits sound 1200 time better than air, so a air space is the real answer.
yes but does wood trasfer noise that is placed directly to it not sound in the air. for example the footseps would be heard but not the conversations the people are having?

anything