Author Topic: Basement noise from bottom up.........  (Read 2406 times)

John Lemanski

Basement noise from bottom up.........
« on: January 02, 2003, 10:37:21 PM »
Just wondering about keeping the noise in the basement.  I am putting in a rec room/home theater and am worried about noise traveling up
through the ceiling.  My plan is to drywall the ceiling with either 1/2 or 5/8.  Would RC's be of any help?  I've read in the forum about them reducing noise transmission from the floors above but haven't read anything aboutkeeping the noise in the basement.  I'm thinking it should work both ways.  BTW why are the SSP clips so expensive?!  Thanks! John

mr.x

Re: Basement noise from bottom up.........
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2003, 05:03:33 AM »
: Just wondering about keeping the noise in the basement.  I am putting in a rec room/home theater and am worried about noise traveling up
: through the ceiling.  My plan is to drywall the ceiling with either 1/2 or 5/8.  Would RC's be of any help?  I've read in the forum about them reducing noise transmission from the floors above but haven't read anything aboutkeeping the noise in the basement.  I'm thinking it should work both ways.  BTW why are the SSP clips so expensive?!  Thanks! John
=====myself, I really would try to go with a room in a room approach. Totally detached with the exception of the concrete floor.
Also, window plugs are important. If your in a brick house, there shouldn't be much of a problem.
The resilient channels/clips are to help isolate, so the vibrating material (drywall) won't conduct the vibration from one material to the next. A room within a room (RWR)will totally decouple (with the exception of the flanking path on the floor), so that is a step up on the clips/channels. Also with the RWR , your can have alot more mass as well.
x