Author Topic: soundproofing bedroom wall  (Read 3779 times)

dave

soundproofing bedroom wall
« on: January 19, 2001, 03:13:05 AM »
i am considering options for soundproofing my bedroom wall which seems to catch all the street, neighbor, stereo noise, etc...i heard that wonderboard works well to block sound and am considering attaching it to my wall, and then layer it with some sort of sound absorbing material, then plywood or drywall, and then some sort of pine tounge-and-groove slats to finish it off.
my main question is that will this do an adequate job of making my bedroom a nice quiet retreat, and/or do i need to add some "dead space" between and not sandwhich all the layers one on top of another...?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...!
thanks...dave

bjnash

Re: soundproofing bedroom wall
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2001, 05:57:55 AM »
: i am considering options for soundproofing my bedroom wall which seems to catch all the street, neighbor, stereo noise, etc...i heard that wonderboard works well to block sound and am considering attaching it to my wall, and then layer it with some sort of sound absorbing material, then plywood or drywall, and then some sort of pine tounge-and-groove slats to finish it off.
<
: my main question is that will this do an adequate job of making my bedroom a nice quiet retreat, and/or do i need to add some "dead space" between and not sandwhich all the layers one on top of another...?
: any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...!
: thanks...dave
B> A: First, wood is not a soundproofing material because it transmits sound so readily.  Second, "layering" is inferior to large airspace: dead air does not transmit sound very well...  No need to re-invent all this, it's been done before!