Author Topic: Closed Cell Vinyl Foam vs. Mass Loaded Vinyl  (Read 8121 times)

Fred

Closed Cell Vinyl Foam vs. Mass Loaded Vinyl
« on: January 08, 2003, 12:50:44 AM »
I am confused about when to use Closed Cell Foam or Mass Loaded Vinyl?  Also, when used as a barrier, how important is the thickness?  For example, when used between sheet rock on a wall, what is the effect of 3/8 vs. 1/8?
Fred

maxxdrum

Closed Cell Vinyl Foam vs. MVL - HELP please
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 07:20:52 AM »
I'm wondering the exact same thing. ???
Someone please elaborate!
TIA.

maxoepen.

Boborther

Re: Closed Cell Vinyl Foam vs. Mass Loaded Vinyl &
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 11:42:09 PM »
Fred and Max,

The closed cell foam is a totally different entity than the MLV. A lot of people get confused by these 2 products. The MLV only comes in the 1/8" thickness and that's as thick as it needs to be. It was designed to emulate lead sheeting, and it does a remarkable job. The major difference between these 2 products is that the closed cell foam absorbs and blocks sound, as well as absorbing most vibrations. The MLV on the other hand is strictly a blocking material and offers no vibration dampening or sound absorbtion. This is the reason this material is so effective beneath a wooden floor, and why we recommend the use of closed cell foams when installing a floated wall or ceiling.
Well, I hop I have not confused you guys too much. The bottomline is simply this, both materials are great soundproofers, they are simply designed for specialized areas.  That's my story, and I'm stickin to it. Thanks Guys!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org

anything