Author Topic: Help..Cheap Walls in Condo.  (Read 2700 times)

Aleksei

Help..Cheap Walls in Condo.
« on: January 09, 2003, 06:17:20 PM »
I am sharing a small wall 5'x9' with a neighbor.  She has her projection tv right next to it, which according to her she will not be able to move.
ANyway.  The walls are made of wallboard with some insulation in between.  What are my options for soundproofing this wall?  Do I need to take the wallboard down and install sound proofing materials and reinstall wallboard? Can I cut circular holes at the top of the wall and blow in some stuff that will sound proof it?
What are the materials that I need?  Where can I get them?  WHo can I contract?
Thanks so much.
Alex-

boborther

Re: Help..Cheap Walls in Condo.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 11:00:53 PM »
: I am sharing a small wall 5'x9' with a neighbor.  She has her projection tv right next to it, which according to her she will not be able to move.
: ANyway.  The walls are made of wallboard with some insulation in between.  What are my options for soundproofing this wall?  Do I need to take the wallboard down and install sound proofing materials and reinstall wallboard? Can I cut circular holes at the top of the wall and blow in some stuff that will sound proof it?
: What are the materials that I need?  Where can I get them?  WHo can I contract?
: Thanks so much.
: Alex-
ALEX,
IF THE ONLY SOUNDS YOU ARE TRYING TO BLOCK OUT ARE THOSE OF THE PROJECTION TV, THEN I SUGGEST THE MASS LOADED VINYL STAPLED OR CONTACT CEMENTED TO YOUR EXISTING WALL, AND THEN ANOTHER LAYER OF 5/8" FIRE CODE DRYWALL OVER TOP OF THE (MLV). BEFORE INSTALLING THAT LAYER OF DRYWALL, YOU WILL WANT TO CAULK THE SEAMS AND AROUND THE PERIMETER OF THE (MLV) OR ANYWHERE YOU CAN FIT IN A KNIFE BLADE INTO.
NOW ONCE YOU HAVE THE FINAL LAYER OF DRYWALL UP, YOU WILL TAPE MUD AND PAINT IT AS USUAL, AND THE JOB IS COMPLETE. THIS LITTLE SANDWICH SHOULD ADD 34 STC POINTS TO THE EXISTING WALL.
ALEX, PLEASE GIVE US A CALL IF WE CAN HELP YOU FURTHER.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723