Author Topic: Noise through common wall  (Read 2895 times)

Todd

Noise through common wall
« on: January 10, 2003, 05:32:26 PM »
Hi,
  I live in a semi-detached home, sharing a wall with my neighbours.
Between the two dwellings is a cement-block wall from the ground to the roof.
Recently my neighbours, who are quite loud under normal cirucmstances, purchased a home theatre system. Now, the noise from their Movie viewing and gaming is causing lost sleep and enough annoyance to want me to move.
So, my question is, before moving, what would be the best solution to eliminate the noise? (Most importantly the rumbling bass)
Currently the wall structure is Drywall, Cement Block, Drywall.
So the transmission of noise is coming from the home theatre, through the walls and floor into my bedroom on the 2nd floor.
What would be my best sound proofing application?
Hope this is enough information to get your help!
Thanks in advance.

boborther

Re: Noise through common wall
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 10:14:20 PM »
: Hi,
:    I live in a semi-detached home, sharing a wall with my neighbours.
: Between the two dwellings is a cement-block wall from the ground to the roof.
: Recently my neighbours, who are quite loud under normal cirucmstances, purchased a home theatre system. Now, the noise from their Movie viewing and gaming is causing lost sleep and enough annoyance to want me to move.
: So, my question is, before moving, what would be the best solution to eliminate the noise? (Most importantly the rumbling bass)
: Currently the wall structure is Drywall, Cement Block, Drywall.
: So the transmission of noise is coming from the home theatre, through the walls and floor into my bedroom on the 2nd floor.
: What would be my best sound proofing application?
: Hope this is enough information to get your help!
: Thanks in advance.
TODD,
ONE OF THE BEST METHODS FOR QUELLING THE NOISY NEIGHBORS WOULD BE TO "FLOAT" THE WALL THAT ADJOINS YOUR UNIT WITH HIS. THIS WOULD REQUIRE TAKING DOWN YOUR EXISTING WALL, AND FLOATING A NEW WALL USING THE EXISTING WALL STUDS, AND ALSO UTILIZING THE DEAD AIR SPACE IN THE WALL CAVITIES TO HELP WITH YOUR SOUNDPROOFING. FLOATING THE WALL WOULD BE DONE WITH EITHER THE SSP SOUND CLIPS AND FURRING CHANNEL, OR WITH RESILIENT CHANNELS (RC).
OTHER SOUNDPROOFING AGENTS SUCH AS CLOSED CELL FOAM AND MASS LOADED VINYL (MLV) CAN BE USED FOR EVEN MORE SOUNDPROOFING PROTECTION.
YOU CAN READ ABOUT ALL OF THESE MATERIALS AND SOUNDPROOFING METHODS RIGHT ON THE WEBSITE. AT THE HOMEPAGE, SIMPLY SCROLL DOWN TILL YOU SEE THE YELLOW BOX, THEN CLICK ONTO THE HEADER THAT BEST DESCRIBES YOUR PROJECT. (eg. WALLS, WINDOWS,DOORS, ETC.) THANKS FOR THE POST TODD.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything