Author Topic: Floating a ceiling: Scale, Cost, Materials  (Read 3244 times)

Ryan

Floating a ceiling: Scale, Cost, Materials
« on: January 10, 2003, 07:48:06 PM »
Hello,
I live in a 2 floor apartment building on the first floor.  The tenants upstairs have some young children, which while nice, create some excessive noise as they patter around.  The upstairs apartment has thin carpeting on top of a standard wooden floor.  I've been reading the site and I am interested in floating my ceiling, as this would probably be less intrusive than redoing the upstairs floor.  However, I don't have a good feel for the scale and cost of such a project.  The apartment is a three bedroom with living room, dining room, and kitchen.
My Questions:
Should I attempt to float the entire apartment?  Can you give me a rough estimate of the price given the qualitative size I described? (I assume my materials would be the super sound clips, channel, some type of ceiling material, caulk and tape.)
What do I do about the hanging lights from the ceiling (they're not recessed, just regular hanging lights, in some of the rooms)?
Are there contractors that do this kind of work in the Pittsburgh area?
Thanks,
Ryan

boborther

Re: Floating a ceiling: Scale, Cost, Materials
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 08:42:07 PM »
: Hello,
: I live in a 2 floor apartment building on the first floor.  The tenants upstairs have some young children, which while nice, create some excessive noise as they patter around.  The upstairs apartment has thin carpeting on top of a standard wooden floor.  I've been reading the site and I am interested in floating my ceiling, as this would probably be less intrusive than redoing the upstairs floor.  However, I don't have a good feel for the scale and cost of such a project.  The apartment is a three bedroom with living room, dining room, and kitchen.
: My Questions:
: Should I attempt to float the entire apartment?  Can you give me a rough estimate of the price given the qualitative size I described? (I assume my materials would be the super sound clips, channel, some type of ceiling material, caulk and tape.)
: What do I do about the hanging lights from the ceiling (they're not recessed, just regular hanging lights, in some of the rooms)?
: Are there contractors that do this kind of work in the Pittsburgh area?
: Thanks,
: Ryan
RYAN,
WITHOUT KNOWING SQUARE FOOTAGE IT IS DIFFICULT TO GIVE YOU ACCURATE COST ESTIMATES, HOWEVER, I CAN GIVE YOU INDIVIDUAL MATERIAL COSTS. THE SSP SOUND CLIPS ARE $5 EACH, AND YOU WILL NEED TO GET THE FURRING CHANNEL (HAT CHANNEL) AT YOUR LOCAL DRYWALL SUPPLIER. THE 5/8" FIRE CODE DRYWALL IS APPROXIMATELY $10 TO $12 PER 4'x8' SHEET.
WHEN FLOATING YOUR CEILING IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO REMOVE THE OLD CEILING, THAT WAY YOU CAN UTILIZE THE DEAD AIR SPACE IN THE FLOOR JOISTS ABOVE DOWN TO THE NEW FLOATED CEILING. THIS DEAD AIR SPACE COULD BE SUBSTANTIAL AND WILL HELP GREATLY IN THE SOUNDPROOFING OF YOUR CEILING.
THE REGULAR HANGING LIGHTS CAN STILL BE USED WITH THE NEW FLOATED CEILING, YOU WILL JUST NEED TO CAULK THE AREA WHERE THE LIGHT FIXTURE IS ATTACHED TO THE CEILING, TO PREVENT SOUND FROM ESCAPING.
RYAN, GO TO THE WEBSITE, AND READ ABOUT THE SOUND CLIPS, AS WELL AS THE CLOSED CELL FOAMS FOR LINING THE DEAD AIR CAVITIES IN THE CEILING /FLOOR JOISTS. THIS INFORMATION WILL BE INVALUABLE TO YOUR SOUNDPROOFING EFFORT.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723