Author Topic: Paper thin common wall  (Read 3596 times)

Glen

Paper thin common wall
« on: January 11, 2003, 10:03:21 AM »
I live in a condo that shares a paper thin common wall between  two bedrooms. At night time, I can hear my neighbor talking and I have been losing many nights of sleep over this.
I have read all of the above solution, but most of the solutions require taking down the exist drywall. Is there an alternative other than taking the existing drywall down. ie - Putting something on the wall itself .

bjnash

Re: Paper thin common wall
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 06:21:27 AM »
: I live in a condo that shares a paper thin common wall between  two bedrooms. At night time, I can hear my neighbor talking and I have been losing many nights of sleep over this.
: I have read all of the above solution, but most of the solutions require taking down the exist drywall. Is there an alternative other than taking the existing drywall down. ie - Putting something on the wall itself .
 Sure, you can put up a layer (or several) of MLV then another layer of drywall.  This will increase the sound reduction capability by at least 100%!

Glen

Re: Paper thin common wall
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 09:51:35 PM »
: : I live in a condo that shares a paper thin common wall between  two bedrooms. At night time, I can hear my neighbor talking and I have been losing many nights of sleep over this.
: : I have read all of the above solution, but most of the solutions require taking down the exist drywall. Is there an alternative other than taking the existing drywall down. ie - Putting something on the wall itself .
:  Sure, you can put up a layer (or several) of MLV then another layer of drywall.  This will increase the sound reduction capability by at least 100%!
Do I nail the new drywall through the MLV to the existing drywall.
I am thinking of ordering the 1/4" MLV. Do you think that'll be enough?

anything