Author Topic: Upstairs neighbours - echo chamber  (Read 9130 times)

Angela

Upstairs neighbours - echo chamber
« on: January 22, 2003, 05:35:04 AM »
I live in an old seven storey walkup which is like an echo Chamber.  The people upstairs have put plywood over the old floorboards and since then the noise is much worse, I can now hear their conversations word for word and every little sound that they make, even their cat running - no exaggeration, every sound is magnified ten-fold. They won't insulate in any manner.
What can you suggest that could go over the existing ceiling to cut the noise down - curtains?something not to heavy, reasonably priced and fire-proof. The room I have in mind to sound proof is small 120sq ft.
Thank you.

boborther

Re: Upstairs neighbours - echo chamber
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 09:30:14 PM »
: I live in an old seven storey walkup which is like an echo Chamber.  The people upstairs have put plywood over the old floorboards and since then the noise is much worse, I can now hear their conversations word for word and every little sound that they make, even their cat running - no exaggeration, every sound is magnified ten-fold. They won't insulate in any manner.
: What can you suggest that could go over the existing ceiling to cut the noise down - curtains?something not to heavy, reasonably priced and fire-proof. The room I have in mind to sound proof is small 120sq ft.
: Thank you.
Angela,
You are right about the wood transmitting the sound 10 times over. Actually wood transmits sound upwards of 1200 times more than ambient air does.
There is a material called SSP flooring (also known as Mass Loaded vinyl) that could be adhered to your ceiling using heavy duty staples or contact cement, (caulking all seams and around the perimeter with acoustical caulk) and then we would recommend that you layer that over with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall. Tape mud and paint as usual.
Angela, keep in mind that this will block the voices and other noises such as radio or stereo/TV, but it will not be very effective against impact sounds, (eg. foot falls, or heavy items dropped on the floors) The best way to combat those kinda of sounds would be to install a floated ceiling using either resilient channel, or the SSP sound clips. You can read more about this on the website. (see link below)
 I hope this helps you in your soundproofing endeavors. Please give us a call if we can be of any further assistance.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723