Author Topic: Soundproofing bedroom from bar noise (mainly bass)  (Read 3406 times)

Kate

Soundproofing bedroom from bar noise (mainly bass)
« on: January 11, 2003, 10:27:44 AM »
Bob,
I live about 50 feet from a bar and regularly can hear the bass noise from live bands in my bedroom (not extremely loud, but loud enough to make it difficult to sleep due to the barely audible bass line).  
I am looking for noise reduction solutions and have seen your recommendations for the lead foil.  Would this foil need to cover all walls of the bedroom or would it be pretty effective still if it only covered the wall facing the bar? (The other walls are not exterior walls).  Also, the wall facing the bar has a window which is triple glazed with heat mirror (two panes with heat mirror film in between).  Is it likely with the bass that the window is our weakest point or the walls (wood frame, no insulation - two inch air gap, plaster wall inside, shingling outside)?  I am also considering per the recommendations seen here to get the 2" closed cell foam material for the window as a first step to try since the lead is more expensive.
I live in the southwestern portion of Ohio (Cincinnati area).  Please let me know if there is anyone in this area you could recommend to provide consulting and/or actually do the soundproofing work as we try resolve our noise problem.
Many thanks for your help,
Kate

guitarsanddrums

Re: Soundproofing bedroom from bar noise (mainly bass)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 01:47:26 AM »
This is an old thread so hopefully this is resolved by now but thought i'd give my input.  I would doubt that closed cell foam insert would help block much noise/sound coming in window especially low frequencies.

Perhaps if it was combined with something with significant amount of mass like drywall (perhaps multiple layers with greenglue in between) or mass loaded vinyl and installed in a way that it was seals the window in airtight way when the plug is in would help some noticeably.  The improvement in the low end frequencies will still be limited compared to the improvements in the higher frequencies.

The window plug will be heavy. Some of the sound can be coming through the wall and regardless of what you do on the window won't change that.

I have used mass loaded vinyl window cover which include air space between it and the window glass and they do cut down sound transmission through window noticeably.  The weak point is lower frequencies but sound also comes through the walls...  I have been thinking about the magaseal (as detailed on this site) system to add acrylic pane with air space which would have benefit to see through the window while mass loaded vinyl completely blocks it.