Author Topic: Soundproofing one room from another  (Read 4395 times)

Jeff Levine

Soundproofing one room from another
« on: December 14, 2000, 05:55:38 PM »
I have an in home office in my 3 1/2 yr. old home. There is a wall that runs the length of the room where I speak to people and a door in the center of the wall; the door is very heavy and supposed to be solid.
I have a sound maker on near the door in the waiting room and speakers that play music as well.
However, if the music can be low and I still hear it in my office. And while people in the waiting room cannot easily hear converstions in the office,
I can hear talking in the waiting room. I have put 3/4" weather stripping aroung the door jam to try and seal out sound. I am assuming my heavy door is the right way to go.
Anything that I could do short of opening the walls up to improve soundproofing between the waiting room and office would be wonderful. Please respond if you
have information that can help. Thanks!
Jeff

bjnash

Re: Soundproofing one room from another
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2000, 09:12:49 PM »
: I have an in home office in my 3 1/2 yr. old home. There is a wall that runs the length of the room where I speak to people and a door in the center of the wall; the door is very heavy and supposed to be solid.
: I have a sound maker on near the door in the waiting room and speakers that play music as well.
: However, if the music can be low and I still hear it in my office. And while people in the waiting room cannot easily hear converstions in the office,
: I can hear talking in the waiting room. I have put 3/4" weather stripping aroung the door jam to try and seal out sound. I am assuming my heavy door is the right way to go.
: Anything that I could do short of opening the walls up to improve soundproofing between the waiting room and office would be wonderful. Please respond if you
: have information that can help. Thanks!
: Jeff
Sounds like a classic case of the door not fitted well to the frame.  See the link below on some tips on sealing a door.