Author Topic: Help... 1/4 inch laminated glass or triple pane windows???  (Read 9006 times)

wistle

Help... 1/4 inch laminated glass or triple pane windows???
« on: January 21, 2003, 07:43:46 PM »
I need to soundproof/reduce my windows.  which is a better option?  1/4 inch laminated glass interior windows, or double hung triple pane interior windows?  Thanks.
W.

A.

Re: Help... 1/4 inch laminated glass or triple pane windows???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2003, 03:42:04 PM »
: I need to soundproof/reduce my windows.  which is a better option?  1/4 inch laminated glass interior windows, or double hung triple pane interior windows?  Thanks.
: W.
W, I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what I have and how it panned out.  I think dead-air-space is the key.  I live in a small apt in NYC, off a street with many restaurants and some traffic, plus a firehouse down the block.  The windows are steel casement, set in a 6"-thick wall.
In my living room, I have double-paned laminated glass, total thickness 1/4". (So, two 1/8" panes.)  The sound was reduced by about 30% from the old 1/8" single pane.  I can still hear people talking on their cell phones, car-horn honking and the like, but generally it's been reduced to the point where I can concentrate if I need to.
In the bedroom, I have the same set-up, PLUS an interior double-hung window that has double panes with a total thickness of 1/4".  The dead-air-space between the casement window and the interior window is about 3 inches.  It's not pretty, but I tell you I hear nothing from the outside.  Except the dim wail of the fire engines.  Some of my neighbors have some very nice-looking interior windows which slide like doors.  These apparently ran $1,000 installed, in a 5' x 4' window.  Again, this sets up a good dead-air-space between the casement window and the interior.
Obviously this works because I've got a good thick wall to set the second window into.  Good luck.

Doug

Re: Help... 1/4 inch laminated glass or triple pane windows???
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 04:39:12 PM »
: : I need to soundproof/reduce my windows.  which is a better option?  1/4 inch laminated glass interior windows, or double hung triple pane interior windows?  Thanks.
: : W.
I have done a lot of research on windows but I am not an expert. I suggest the laminated glass or 1/4 acrylic with as big as airspace as possible.  
I am replacing my windows with wood casement windows with 1/4 laminate outside, 1/8 laminate inside and 5/8 air space.  The STC is 39.  If need be I will install an interior window of 1/4 acrtlic but I think I will be fine.

eleanor hensel

triple glass windows
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 08:41:57 AM »
: I need to soundproof noise from outside. Will three panes of glass help and where to find?

wistle

Re: triple glass windows
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 10:25:57 PM »
: : I need to soundproof noise from outside. Will three panes of glass help and where to find?

I ended up going with the 1/4 inch  laminated glass with about three inches of dead air space.  It works great!  It also looks nice.  It was not cheap though I paid 1600.00 for one room.  However, I think you can do this cheaper.  The dead air space is the key, so if you get interior window put in, try to have as much space as possible bewteen the two windows.   I used the company called "citi proof windows".  It cut the noise down tremendously.

anything