Author Topic: Soundproofing under piano  (Read 3445 times)

Joanne

Soundproofing under piano
« on: January 21, 2003, 09:53:01 PM »
hi,
I am getting complaints from my downstairs neighbors about my daughter's piano playing. We live in a loft apatment with 6" thick concrete floors.  Is there a product to put under the piano that will help? If so what is it and how far does it need to extend beyond the piano-it's an upgright model?

boborther

Re: Soundproofing under piano
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 10:48:48 PM »
: hi,
: I am getting complaints from my downstairs neighbors about my daughter's piano playing. We live in a loft apatment with 6" thick concrete floors.  Is there a product to put under the piano that will help? If so what is it and how far does it need to extend beyond the piano-it's an upright model?

Joanne,
You did not state what type of floor covering was under the piano. Hopefully it is carpeting and pad, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet it was "hardwood floor". In any event, one of the best methods of isolating the piano from the ceiling below, would be to place the piano up on Vibration Isolation pads. This would de couple the legs and feet of the piano from your floor and subsequently from the neighbors ceiling.
 Also, a layer of the SSP floor mat placed under the piano would be effective, especially if used in conjunction with the vibration pads. (Vinyl pad should extend at least 2 feet on either side of the piano)
Joanne, please give me a call if you have further questions or you wish to order these products. Thank you for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723