Author Topic: Floor insulation on my boat  (Read 2657 times)

Richard E. Urso

Floor insulation on my boat
« on: January 24, 2003, 03:18:25 PM »
I am purchasing a 1987 Motoryacht with teak floors that have 2x4 framed fiberglass insulation and 1/4" board holding it in place, underneath the floors facing the bilge. These cover about a 10 x 20 foot area, is very heavy and does not dampen the sound too much. I need a good sound and heat barrier as the diesel engines get warm and I also have a generator and other equipment down in the bilges. I want to take all of the frame work off and glue the sound barrier in place, saving a lot of weight, lowering the sound and insulating the bilge for winter as well. Hope someone can help. I need to buy the suggested solution sometime in the spring, so I need to know where to go to get the material and some advice on the glue to use.
R. Urso

boborther

Re: Floor insulation on my boat
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 07:53:18 PM »
: I am purchasing a 1987 Motoryacht with teak floors that have 2x4 framed fiberglass insulation and 1/4" board holding it in place, underneath the floors facing the bilge. These cover about a 10 x 20 foot area, is very heavy and does not dampen the sound too much. I need a good sound and heat barrier as the diesel engines get warm and I also have a generator and other equipment down in the bilges. I want to take all of the frame work off and glue the sound barrier in place, saving a lot of weight, lowering the sound and insulating the bilge for winter as well. Hope someone can help. I need to buy the suggested solution sometime in the spring, so I need to know where to go to get the material and some advice on the glue to use.
: R. Urso
Richard,
There is a very good material that we use for dampening and absorbing noise such as that you have described. It is called SSP closed cell foam mat. You can find it on the prices page. This material is FAA approved, and UL rated. It has a temperature rating of 180 Deg F all the way to 220 deg F. This material is moisture resistant, and is a very stout and resilient material. It's ability to both block and absorb sound, gives you the best of both worlds.
The closed cell foam is also a good vibration dampener. You would apply it to the underside of the deck with a contact cement,(preferably one with a fugicide). All butted seams and edges would be secured with the contact cement as well.
Richard, please give us a call in the spring time when you are ready to order this product, we'll be glad to help you.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything