Author Topic: Replacement Windows and Plaster Walls  (Read 3733 times)

Ginny

Replacement Windows and Plaster Walls
« on: January 25, 2003, 10:36:29 PM »
I'm sorry if this question has been addressed before but I had trouble with the search option on this forum.  Our brick house with plaster walls faces a busy street.  We recently replaced our old windows with double-pane, krypton gas vinyl replacement windows.  To our surprise and disappointment, there has not been much improvement in the noise.  The sound is muffled somewhat but still very noticeable.  Is it possible that the sound is being transmitted through our walls instead?  If that is the case, would soundproof plugs for the windows be any help at all?  Thanks for your time.  

boborther

Re: Replacement Windows and Plaster Walls
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 08:24:26 PM »
: I'm sorry if this question has been addressed before but I had trouble with the search option on this forum.  Our brick house with plaster walls faces a busy street.  We recently replaced our old windows with double-pane, krypton gas vinyl replacement windows.  To our surprise and disappointment, there has not been much improvement in the noise.  The sound is muffled somewhat but still very noticeable.  Is it possible that the sound is being transmitted through our walls instead?  If that is the case, would soundproof plugs for the windows be any help at all?  Thanks for your time.  

Ginny,
The walls could very well be the culptit. You need to use your ears when the noise is present, to determine just where the sound is coming in from. Trust your ears, as they are the best method to isolate those annoying sounds. Give us a call if you need more help in this matter. Thanks Ginny.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

boborther

Re: Replacement Windows and Plaster Walls
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 08:30:48 PM »
: I'm sorry if this question has been addressed before but I had trouble with the search option on this forum.  Our brick house with plaster walls faces a busy street.  We recently replaced our old windows with double-pane, krypton gas vinyl replacement windows.  To our surprise and disappointment, there has not been much improvement in the noise.  The sound is muffled somewhat but still very noticeable.  Is it possible that the sound is being transmitted through our walls instead?  If that is the case, would soundproof plugs for the windows be any help at all?  Thanks for your time.  

Ginny,
Just one follow up hint, when the noise is at it's loudest, you and a friend take a thick blanket or quilt, and hold it up over the window and see if that deadens the noise. If it does, the the window is most likely the problem and a window plug would be effective. For that matter so would an acoustical curtain. Thanks again Ginny!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723