Author Topic: Now what can I do?  (Read 3001 times)

Jim

Now what can I do?
« on: January 26, 2003, 04:12:21 AM »
Any help appreciated. I put up a layer of Homasote board and 5/8 drywall, with absolutely no improvement!  (I can still hear the neighbors TV just fine.  ) Would mass loaded vinyl help?  I cannt add many more layers of drywall as the room is shrinking..already too small.  Would Resilient channel help or could the noise be coming thru the ceilings from next door...cannt tell? I cannt remove the latest layer of drywall as I glued it into place...Now what?

bjnash

Re: Now what can I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2003, 05:30:44 AM »
: Any help appreciated. I put up a layer of Homasote board and 5/8 drywall, with absolutely no improvement!  (I can still hear the neighbors TV just fine.  ) Would mass loaded vinyl help?  I cannt add many more layers of drywall as the room is shrinking..already too small.  Would Resilient channel help or could the noise be coming thru the ceilings from next door...cannt tell? I cannt remove the latest layer of drywall as I glued it into place...Now what?
Well, a typicak wall has an STC of about 20 (can hear converstation).  Each layer of drywall has an STC of about 8 and the Homasote about a 10.  So adding them to your wall means you have about a 38.  A 40 means you can hear loud shouting so if you hear your neighbor it means you need to get to a 60, (loud shouting is not heard). Or even a 80, for more marging of error.
A layer of MLV has a rating of about 26, so it would seem this would raise the STC level of your wall enough to provide some relief.  Mitigating factors would be if the tv was against your wall, or had speakers mounted to it. :-(  Resilient channel has about a 20 and the sound clips about a 40.  These are just rough rules of thumb, mind you.