Author Topic: noise from DOWNSTAIRS neighbors  (Read 3897 times)

tom

noise from DOWNSTAIRS neighbors
« on: January 27, 2003, 06:53:55 PM »
I live in a rental apartment. The apartment below me was vacant (and quiet), until new tenants just moved in with a 3 year old daughter. My hardwood floors are very thin, and I can hear everything --talking, footfalls, television, drawers shutting, etc., and am wondering if there is anything I can do to cut down on the noise. Since I do not own the apartment, I can't do anything too drastic. Would laying down an area rug help? Keep in mind that this is the apartment BELOW me, rather than the more typical problem of upstairs neighbors. Thanks for your help!

Alex

Re: noise from DOWNSTAIRS neighbors
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2003, 09:34:14 PM »
I have the same problem. There is carpeting in my apt., but the downstair's neighboor took his up and is living on the hardwood floors. That I can live with. It's the sound of them in the bedroom below that I want to fix. Is there a way that I can pick up my carpet, lay something non-damaging over my hardwood floor,replace the carpet and be able to sleep? Will it actually work? These people below are not crazy. They're just normal people lying in bed and talking. It just drives me nuts. It goes right through ear plugs which suggests to me that it's also a vibration problem. Need help. Thanks.