Author Topic: mass loaded vinyl vs. roofing products  (Read 4568 times)

Dave Jones

mass loaded vinyl vs. roofing products
« on: January 30, 2003, 10:37:36 PM »
There are many rolled roofing products that exhibit similar structural characteristics to mass loaded vinyl (weight, thickness, pliant).  How do they differ is stopping noise through a wall?  Not trying for a full benefit analysis but I see in some areas recommendations to use these roofing products.  Do you get what you pay for?
Thanks

Kira

Re: mass loaded vinyl vs. roofing products
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 11:23:24 PM »
I too would love to see some specs on these!

supersoundproofing

Re: mass loaded vinyl vs. roofing products
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 09:23:09 PM »
Roofing materials, while cheap, have some flaws, but can be used if one is aware of them.

1) Being an asphalt based product, users report they continually outgas, therefore should not be used where the odor will be a problem.
2) The sound blocking qualities are not linear- that is, some frequencies will come through unimpeded- probably the ones you wanted to block, if you have my kind of luck.
3)Cost, while seeming cheap, may not be, when the numbers of layers needed is tsaken into account.  (5 minimum for rolled roofing).

What knid of results to expect?  Totally unknowable until tried, but by then the time and investment is made.  This is why we here at Super Soundproofing recommend materials with a proven performance record, not only in the lab, but in the field.

anything