Author Topic: Lead tape as shielding  (Read 4420 times)

daryl liquin

Lead tape as shielding
« on: February 04, 2003, 04:48:02 PM »
I am running some PVC through a soffit for audio and video and computer cables.  It is the only place to put them but there are several electrical runs through the same space.  I am using shielded cables where possible, and they should be able to be about 4-5 inches away from the electrical stuff.
I'm wondering if wrapping the PVC with lead tape would help in shielding the cables?  
Thanks for any responses!

BJNash

Re: Lead tape as shielding
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 02:48:16 AM »
: I am running some PVC through a soffit for audio and video and computer cables.  It is the only place to put them but there are several electrical runs through the same space.  I am using shielded cables where possible, and they should be able to be about 4-5 inches away from the electrical stuff.
: I'm wondering if wrapping the PVC with lead tape would help in shielding the cables?  
: Thanks for any responses!
Yes, lead will provide shielding, but copper works better.

Brian

Re: Lead tape as shielding
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 06:54:43 PM »
: I am running some PVC through a soffit for audio and video and computer cables.  It is the only place to put them but there are several electrical runs through the same space.  I am using shielded cables where possible, and they should be able to be about 4-5 inches away from the electrical stuff.
: I'm wondering if wrapping the PVC with lead tape would help in shielding the cables?  
: Thanks for any responses!
Lead tape does not provide good electromagnetic shielding, and it is a toxic substance. If you properly install the audio and video cables, that is
without damaging the shield, and your connected equipment is grounded properly, you should not experience "electrical noise" from the near by electrical cables. Most residential wiring, even the main utility feed, produces relatively small electro-magnetic fields which dissipate quickly with distance. If you need to install a conduit to facilitate running the cables, then use a steel conduit/pipe. The steel will provide a shunt or direct any local magnetic field arount the inside cables.