Author Topic: Boat Generator Sound Shield  (Read 4886 times)

Steve

Boat Generator Sound Shield
« on: February 09, 2003, 11:02:07 PM »
I am considering making a sound shield for the generator on my boat.  Commercially available shield cost $1000 - $1400 so I am hoping to save money yet make an effective barrier.  One suggestion is to construct a box of 3/4 plywood and cover it with 1 inch thick "foam/leaded vinyl/foam".  What do you recommend as the sound deadening material for such a project?  Thanks, in advace.

boborther

Re: Boat Generator Sound Shield
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 01:27:18 AM »
: I am considering making a sound shield for the generator on my boat.  Commercially available shield cost $1000 - $1400 so I am hoping to save money yet make an effective barrier.  One suggestion is to construct a box of 3/4 plywood and cover it with 1 inch thick "foam/leaded vinyl/foam".  What do you recommend as the sound deadening material for such a project?  Thanks, in advice.
Steve,
I would recommend the vinyl nitrile closed cell foam mat. I think I'd go with a 1" or thicker mat. This material not only  absorbs sound but it also blocks it. This foam mat will dampen out much of the vibration caused by the generator itself.
We carry this and many other soundproofing agents here at Soundproofing.org, so give us a call when you are ready to order or if you need further information. Thanks for the post Steve.
Sincerely,
Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales /Technical Associate
www.soundproofing.org
boborther@soundproofing.org
Phone (760) 749-7049
Orders only!  (888) 942-7723