Author Topic: Non-Permanent Furnace Soundproofing  (Read 2948 times)

Chris

Non-Permanent Furnace Soundproofing
« on: February 12, 2003, 06:23:25 AM »
I was wondering what you'd recommend for lowering the sound levels around my furnace without actually building any permanent walls? Obviously, I need something fire resistant, so I don't have to worry about combustion. And I need to be able to rig some breathing room into the furnace, without totally negating the desired effect of soundproofing.
Would a curtain do much for me? We were thinking about getting some sort of sound board and attaching it to the ceiling on tracks that we could then slide out when we needed to get to the furnace. Then we could cut 'vents' out of the top and bottom of this.
Or do you guys have a better idea?
Thanks,
Chris

boborther

Re: Non-Permanent Furnace Soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 02:23:53 AM »
: I was wondering what you'd recommend for lowering the sound levels around my furnace without actually building any permanent walls? Obviously, I need something fire resistant, so I don't have to worry about combustion. And I need to be able to rig some breathing room into the furnace, without totally negating the desired effect of soundproofing.
: Would a curtain do much for me? We were thinking about getting some sort of sound board and attaching it to the ceiling on tracks that we could then slide out when we needed to get to the furnace. Then we could cut 'vents' out of the top and bottom of this.
: Or do you guys have a better idea?
Chris,
A curtain might be effective for you, it depends on how well you can enclose the furnace area with the curtain.
According to the Soundproofing guru, the best method for soundproofing a free standing furnace is to construct an enclosure around it, and then soundproof the enclosure. this could be done with the closed cell foam mat, which is very fire retardant. This foam is designed to both absorb and block sounds, such as your furnace, so it actually the best of both worlds.
Now when constructing this enclosure, it would be best to use materials other than wood, (though wood is generally the most accessable and cheapest material) Wood has a tendancy to transmit sounds quite readily. I'd recommend using soundboard or Homasote for the enclosure. I hope this helps you in your effort to quiet the noisy furnace.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723