Author Topic: Basement ceiling noise reduction and canned recessed lights  (Read 3736 times)

Mike Menke

Basement ceiling noise reduction and canned recessed lights
« on: February 13, 2003, 09:32:41 PM »
I would guess that their isn't much you can do with a ceiling to reduce noise into the living space above and have canned recessed lights?

boborther

Re: Basement ceiling noise reduction and canned recessed lights
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 12:42:31 PM »
: I would guess that their isn't much you can do with a ceiling to reduce noise into the living space above and have canned recessed lights?
Steve,
Recessed/canned lighting is usually the weak link when soundproofing a ceiling. However, I have heard that the new self contained recessed lights are not open in the back for ventilation and the cans stay much cooler, therefore using them with a floated or soundproof ceiling is now more feasible.
I still think that for soundproofing projects, such as a floated ceiling etc, track lighting would be a more effective alternative to the recessed/canned lights.
I hope this has enlightened you on this subject (No pun intended)

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Mike

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 12:50:25 PM »
: : I would guess that their isn't much you can do with a ceiling to reduce noise into the living space above and have canned recessed lights?
: Steve,
:  Recessed/canned lighting is usually the weak link when soundproofing a ceiling. However, I have heard that the new self contained recessed lights are not open in the back for ventilation and the cans stay much cooler, therefore using them with a floated or soundproof ceiling is now more feasible.
:  I still think that for soundproofing projects, such as a floated ceiling etc, track lighting would be a more effective alternative to the recessed/canned lights.
:  I hope this has enlightened you on this subject (No pun intended)

: Bob Orther
: Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
: Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
: URL: www.soundproofing.org
: e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
: For orders only (888) 942-7723
If I chose to stick with the canned ceiling lights and probably many other leakage points and would be happy with noise/vibration reduction.  Would it be cost effective for me to employ any of the techniques?  Was thinking resilient channel/sound clips and possible mat.  Would it be best to apply a mat between the bottom of the joists and the drywall or to the flooring above under the carpet at a future date to eliminate some of the leakage points around the cans(i.e. when the carpeting is replaced?)

roperdan

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:35:34 AM »
Not an answer, but another question.  I have the same concerns.  I am committed to using can lights in my basement ceiling.  I have 21 already installed in my basement (IC rated).  I will be using RC and fiberglass insulation for the ceiling.  I am considering using sound board (for $9 per 8'x4' board), or Mass loaded vinyl (at least $2/sq. ft. with shipping), or nothing extra under the studs.  My real concern is the can lights.  I don't want to waste money on a pricy soundproofed ceiling if it will mostly be lost through the can lights.  I am considering wrapping the can lights with several layers of Mass Loaded Vinyl to make a quick and easy sound box around the already installed can lights.  I have searched several forums and have never heard of anyone else having tried this.  Has anyone done it?  Is it safe (the can lights are rated for contact with insulation)?  I'm sure it would help some, but how much?  Enough to justify using more than just RC and insulation with 5/8" drywall?

anything