Author Topic: painting fabric on panels  (Read 3540 times)

Lenard Hall

painting fabric on panels
« on: February 14, 2003, 06:37:40 PM »
Is it okay to paint the fabric placed on teh panels or does this lessen/reduce the soundproofing?

boborther

Re: painting fabric on panels
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 07:16:21 PM »
: Is it okay to paint the fabric placed on the panels or does this lessen/reduce the soundproofing?
Lenard,
I am not exactly sure which fabric panels your are referring to in your posting. If you are inquiring about the closed cell foam panels, we do not recommend painting them as it tends to inhibit it's soundproofing characteristics. The foam needs to be able to absorb unwanted sounds and to dampen vibrations in most applications. Painting this material would deter from it's ability to do it's soundproofing job properly.
Now, the SSP flooring, (MLV) can indeed be painted with vinyl or latex paint and it does not in any way inhibit it's sound blocking capabilities. I hope this answers your questions about these products. Thanks for the post Lenard.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Lenard Hall

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 07:51:34 PM »
: : Is it okay to paint the fabric placed on the panels or does this lessen/reduce the soundproofing?
:   Lenard,
:  I am not exactly sure which fabric panels your are referring to in your posting. If you are inquiring about the closed cell foam panels, we do not recommend painting them as it tends to inhibit it's soundproofing characteristics. The foam needs to be able to absorb unwanted sounds and to dampen vibrations in most applications. Painting this material would deter from it's ability to do it's soundproofing job properly.
:  Now, the SSP flooring, (MLV) can indeed be painted with vinyl or latex paint and it does not in any way inhibit it's sound blocking capabilities. I hope this answers your questions about these products. Thanks for the post Lenard.

: Bob Orther
: Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
: Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
: URL: www.soundproofing.org
: e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
: For orders only (888) 942-7723
Thank you for the response. I guess I should have been clearer. We have some panels we purchased to put up on the walls. They are like boards so I assume they are not foam. The fabric is glued to them. I should try and get the name of the product I guess to be more specific. Some people have painted the fabric and I thought that logically this would provide a hard surface for the sound waves to bounce off of. Is this the case?

boborther

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 09:02:16 PM »
: : : Is it okay to paint the fabric placed on the panels or does this lessen/reduce the soundproofing?
: :   Lenard,
: :  I am not sure which fabric panels your are referring to in your posting. If you are inquiring about the closed cell foam panels, we do not recommend painting them as it tends to inhibit it's soundproofing characteristics. The foam needs to be able to absorb unwanted sounds and to dampen vibrations in most applications. Painting this material would deter from it's ability to do it's soundproofing job properly.
: :  Now, the SSP flooring, (MLV) can indeed be painted with vinyl or latex paint and it does not in any way inhibit it's sound blocking capabilities. I hope this answers your questions about these products. Thanks for the post Lenard.
:
: : Bob Orther
: : Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
: : Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
: : URL: www.soundproofing.org
: : e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
: : For orders only (888) 942-7723
: Thank you for the response. I guess I should have been clearer. We have some panels we purchased to put up on the walls. They are like boards so I assume they are not foam. The fabric is glued to them. I should try and get the name of the product I guess to be more specific. Some people have painted the fabric and I thought that logically this would provide a hard surface for the sound waves to bounce off of. Is this the case?

Lenard,
I am still not exactly sure about the expressed purpose of these panels, however if they are designed to absorb the sound, then painting them would most likely inhibit their ability to do that. When you describe thes panels, I think of partician walls that are oft times used in offices or telephone boiler rooms. I hope this helps you.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723