Author Topic: Kids in an Apartment  (Read 3318 times)

Lee

Kids in an Apartment
« on: February 20, 2003, 08:00:05 PM »
I'm getting ready to move into an apartment located on the second floor of a three story apartment building.
What measures can I take to lower the noise caused by kids?
Are there objects that can be hung in the room to break up some of the sound (sound curtain, etc)? Are rugs backed with soundproof mats available?  If not, can they be made or would they not work?
Having never lived in an apartment with kids, I'm trying (in advance) to lower any possible problems that could occur over neighbors (downstairs in particular)who may not appreciate their pitter patter!
I realize that the fact I'm in an apartment greatly reduces my options, but any ideas would be appreciated!

mike

Re: Kids in an Apartment
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 01:40:00 AM »
: I'm getting ready to move into an apartment located on the second floor of a three story apartment building.
: What measures can I take to lower the noise caused by kids?
: Are there objects that can be hung in the room to break up some of the sound (sound curtain, etc)? Are rugs backed with soundproof mats available?  If not, can they be made or would they not work?
: Having never lived in an apartment with kids, I'm trying (in advance) to lower any possible problems that could occur over neighbors (downstairs in particular)who may not appreciate their pitter patter!
: I realize that the fact I'm in an apartment greatly reduces my options, but any ideas would be appreciated!
if you are putting in a carpet then use thick padding, anything which will cushion impact and sound. Minimize any echo - but don't forget the stain remover too
I'm about to try homasote but for my walls, but i've read it can be used for floors - good luck

mike

Re: Kids in an Apartment
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 01:40:00 AM »
: I'm getting ready to move into an apartment located on the second floor of a three story apartment building.
: What measures can I take to lower the noise caused by kids?
: Are there objects that can be hung in the room to break up some of the sound (sound curtain, etc)? Are rugs backed with soundproof mats available?  If not, can they be made or would they not work?
: Having never lived in an apartment with kids, I'm trying (in advance) to lower any possible problems that could occur over neighbors (downstairs in particular)who may not appreciate their pitter patter!
: I realize that the fact I'm in an apartment greatly reduces my options, but any ideas would be appreciated!
if you are putting in a carpet then use thick padding, anything which will cushion impact and sound. Minimize any echo - but don't forget the stain remover too
I'm about to try homasote but for my walls, but i've read it can be used for floors - good luck