Author Topic: *HELP!  (Read 2980 times)

Joseph McKenna

*HELP!
« on: February 25, 2003, 01:27:56 PM »
I'm sure this is a common question on this site. I just can't find a solution. My band and I were recently given use of a 32x32 foot room for practice and recording. Since all us could not afford to rent out a properley sound proofed room, this was a godsent considering the owner of the 4 level victorian home is letting us use it rent free. *The Problem- the large room (32x32 feet) is located on the 3rd floor and is situated towards the front exterior of the house, not the interior. The room is also practically encased in Jalousie Windows(floor to ceiling on three of the four main walls). With all of the factors and the fact that the estate is situtated on a large hill over looking a suburban community of(not so pleasant neighboors) let's just say it's been a task trying to figure out how to sound proof this room. Short of removing the windows that are the number one problem. Just to let you know- we're an experimental/jazz rock group here in Washington D.C. We're trying to finish our first album and things have been gettting rough(inclduing this). Your help is greatly appreciated, not to mention a nice thank you and an album credit for those that'll give us a hand here. Thanks again

boborther

Re: *HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 09:27:57 PM »
: I'm sure this is a common question on this site. I just can't find a solution. My band and I were recently given use of a 32x32 foot room for practice and recording. Since all us could not afford to rent out a properley sound proofed room, this was a godsent considering the owner of the 4 level victorian home is letting us use it rent free. *The Problem- the large room (32x32 feet) is located on the 3rd floor and is situated towards the front exterior of the house, not the interior. The room is also practically encased in Jalousie Windows(floor to ceiling on three of the four main walls). With all of the factors and the fact that the estate is situtated on a large hill over looking a suburban community of(not so pleasant neighboors) let's just say it's been a task trying to figure out how to sound proof this room. Short of removing the windows that are the number one problem. Just to let you know- we're an experimental/jazz rock group here in Washington D.C. We're trying to finish our first album and things have been gettting rough(inclduing this). Your help is greatly appreciated, not to mention a nice thank you and an album credit for those that'll give us a hand here. Thanks again
Joe,
The windows are definitely a major problem. Glass is virtually invisible to sound, meaning that it passes sound quite readily. The best solution would be to construct a separate room within a room. This is discussed in detail on the website on the home page in the yellow box under the header of "Band Practice."
 Ken, the principals would be the same for building the room within a room in the old Victorian mansion.
The reason we suggest the room within a room concept is that you will be able to utilize the dead air space in the original room to block any of the sound that might escape the inner room (RWR). Also, you will be soundproofing much less space with the Room within in a room concept.
This may sound complicated, but it is actually easier and more cost effective than replacing the windows.
 Joseph, I do hope this has been enlightening for you. see the web link below for more details on the Room within a Room concept. Thanks.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything