Author Topic: Grand piano on hardwood floor  (Read 6152 times)

David Dalle

Grand piano on hardwood floor
« on: February 25, 2003, 11:13:28 PM »
Hello, I want to put a grand piano on the 2nd floor of a house with hardwood floors.  Is there something I can put under the piano to help *reduce* the amount of sound which goes downstairs?  Would a raised platform made of soundproofing material help?
I do not think it is possible to soundproof the whole floor or the ceiling (from below).
Thanks,
David

boborther

Re: Grand piano on hardwood floor
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 02:31:32 AM »
: Hello, I want to put a grand piano on the 2nd floor of a house with hardwood floors.  Is there something I can put under the piano to help *reduce* the amount of sound which goes downstairs?  Would a raised platform made of soundproofing material help?
: I do not think it is possible to soundproof the whole floor or the ceiling (from below).
: Thanks,
: David

David,
The first step would be to get the grand up onto vibration isolation pads. This would isolate the piano from the hardwood floor below, and thus the rooms below. I would recommend at least a 4" square pad, one for each leg (foot) of the grand. I would do this first and see how it works.
The other thing I would consider doing is getting an area rug underneath the instrument. You can always adhere some of the mass loaded vinyl to the back of these area rugs and place then strategically about the grand, or better yet, under the instrument. I hope this helps you, Thanks for the inquiry!
Bob O.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Andrew Yi

I also need to sound proof for a grand piano
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 05:01:11 PM »
I also need to research some sound proofing methods to insulate the sound of my grand piano from upstairs and downstais neighbors of my apartment. I've considered putting some sort of insulating material underneath the soundboard, but haven't actually tried it yet. Would you please let me know what methods you tried and how they worked for you. Thanks...

boborther

Re: I also need to sound proof for a grand piano
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 07:09:14 PM »
: I also need to research some sound proofing methods to insulate the sound of my grand piano from upstairs and downstais neighbors of my apartment. I've considered putting some sort of insulating material underneath the soundboard, but haven't actually tried it yet. Would you please let me know what methods you tried and how they worked for you. Thanks...
Andrew,
As I stated in the previous posting, the first order of business would be the vibration isolation pads. The 4" pads would probably do the trick. These would be placed under the feet of the grand.
 Another suggestion would be to purchase a large area rug and adhere some of the SSP floormat to the back of this rug, then place the rug beneath the piano.
I am not all that familiar with treating the soundboard of a grand piano with sound absorbing agents, but I am sure that some of the closed cell foam stategically placed in the piano's soundboard would be helpful.
If you need further information, or wish to order these products, please give us a call. Thanks for the post Andrew.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723