Author Topic: soundproof new construction for parrots  (Read 3176 times)

Kathi M

soundproof new construction for parrots
« on: February 26, 2003, 02:06:21 AM »
I read your recommendation for soundproofing an existing condo to quiet screeching parrot noise. I am in the process of constructing a new home and need advice on soundproofing for screeching parrots (interior only). My question is if I can use 1/4 ssp foam inside the drywall while building or do I need to apply additional soundproofing to the interior walls and ceiling of  a 12x14 room. I plan to use an insulated exterior door.

boborther

Re: soundproof new construction for parrots
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 01:56:25 AM »
: I read your recommendation for soundproofing an existing condo to quiet screeching parrot noise. I am in the process of constructing a new home and need advice on soundproofing for screeching parrots (interior only). My question is if I can use 1/4 ssp foam inside the drywall while building or do I need to apply additional soundproofing to the interior walls and ceiling of  a 12x14 room. I plan to use an insulated exterior door.

Kathi,
The 1/4" foam is a great material to line your inner walls with, and don't forget to cover the studs with the foam as well, especially if you have wood studs. Wood transmits sounds upwards of 1200% more than ambient air. The foam would glue to the back cavities and the studs using contact cement, and any seams or gaps would be adhered with the contact cement as well.
Kathi, from this point you reach a crossroads, you can either float the new wall or layer it with Mass Loaded vinyl, and then drywall over the MLV, sandwiching it in. You will want to caulk all seams and around the perimeter of the MLV prior to installing the final layer of sheetrock. The other method would involve floating the walls/ceiling. This is covered in detail on the website. A lot depends on the sounds you are trying to quell ( eg. Parrot screeches). I hope this answers your questions Kathi. Please give me a call if you need further help in this matter. Thanks!
See the link below for floated walls and ceilings.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723