Author Topic: New Kitchen  (Read 3163 times)

Bob Mc

New Kitchen
« on: February 26, 2003, 03:24:37 AM »
Hi - We are getting the kitchen remodeled, and we have a sound problem between the kitchen and the bedrooms.  We have an unusual set up where the kitchen is over the children's bedrooms.  What would be the best way to soundproof the kitchen activities from their rooms below?
Thanks,
Bob

boborther

Re: New Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 12:37:43 AM »
: Hi - We are getting the kitchen remodeled, and we have a sound problem between the kitchen and the bedrooms.  We have an unusual set up where the kitchen is over the children's bedrooms.  What would be the best way to soundproof the kitchen activities from their rooms below?
: Thanks,
: Bob

Bob,

I'll need to know a few more details about the kitchen, for example the floor covering (ceramic tile, hardwood, or linoleum, etc.) This will help me to better advise you on the proper materials to use on your floor for soundproofing it. With any of the above materials, you would use an underlayment of the Mass Loaded Vinyl, either the foam backed for under hardwood, or the vinyl without foam backing under ceramic tile or linoleum.
The treatment for the walls would depend on the particular noises you are trying to quell. For example, if the noise is from slamming kitchen cabinets, than we are dealing with impact noise, and that would be remedied by floating the walls on the adjoining bedroom. If it is merely voice transmission,TV or Stereo, then there is a good chance that the Mass Loaded vinyl adhered to your bedroom wall and then layered over with another layer of drywall would do the trick.
Bob, please consider giving me a call with all the details of your project, and we can discuss it in detail, and get you headed down the road to soundproofing your kitchen.
Thanks!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723