Author Topic: We are trying to avoid a sound nightmare  (Read 3217 times)

LeeAnne

We are trying to avoid a sound nightmare
« on: March 01, 2003, 09:00:00 AM »
Hello,

We are building a 2story house and I am determined that we find a way to avoid the feeling that the upstairs and downstairs are just one big room (like my parents' home)
For our second floor,we were going to just nail 2" t&g to our beams(24" centers) but realize that this would be a nightmare as far as sound goes.  
So this is what we are thinking:
Put plywood over the beams and then a sound reduction material.  Then use 1" t&g.
What material should we use? Soundboard?  That composite material?  Should we use some sort of foam on top of the beams?  Are we overlooking something?  Would this be sufficient?
If we use the composite, do you think it necessary to put on the whole 2nd floor (1400 sq ft.) or only in bedrooms over the living areas?
I'm a little confused about the resilient channel concept and how that would apply here.  Thanks for your input.
LeeAnne

bjnash

Re: We are trying to avoid a sound nightmare
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 09:31:19 AM »
: Hello,
:  
: We are building a 2story house and I am determined that we find a way to avoid the feeling that the upstairs and downstairs are just one big room (like my parents' home)
: For our second floor,we were going to just nail 2" t&g to our beams(24" centers) but realize that this would be a nightmare as far as sound goes.  
: So this is what we are thinking:
: Put plywood over the beams and then a sound reduction material.  Then use 1" t&g.
: What material should we use? Soundboard?  That composite material?  Should we use some sort of foam on top of the beams?  Are we overlooking something?  Would this be sufficient?
: If we use the composite, do you think it necessary to put on the whole 2nd floor (1400 sq ft.) or only in bedrooms over the living areas?
: I'm a little confused about the resilient channel concept and how that would apply here.  Thanks for your input.
: LeeAnne
Your project is large enough to justify adding the manual; "Quieting in the home" To your library!  You can download it too!