Author Topic: Retroing a wall with spray in poly insulation  (Read 2559 times)

Chris

Retroing a wall with spray in poly insulation
« on: February 26, 2003, 11:27:04 PM »
This is that type of insulation that looks like great stuff and expands as it sets.  If you watch This Old House you know the stuff.  It acts as an insulation and a sound deadener (sp?).
I want to retro a single wall in my condo with the stuff.  Anyone ever thought of this?  Discussed this?  Done this?  Price?  Anyone I can speak to about it?
Thanks in advance.  You can email me.

boborther

Re: Retroing a wall with spray in poly insulation
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 12:11:03 AM »
: This is that type of insulation that looks like great stuff and expands as it sets.  If you watch This Old House you know the stuff.  It acts as an insulation and a sound deadener (sp?).
: I want to retro a single wall in my condo with the stuff.  Anyone ever thought of this?  Discussed this?  Done this?  Price?  Anyone I can speak to about it?
: Thanks in advance.  You can email me.
Chris,
I am sure that this spray in poly is good for that thermal effect, but if you read the Myths page on  (www.soundproofing.org), you will discover that few (if any) of the spray in products are effective for soundproofing. As a general rule, you need  mass for soundproofing. For example, the Mass Loaded Vinyls, Lead foil, or the dense closed cell foams. Lead is without doubt the best of soundproofing agents,due to it's density and mass.
These products are what the professionals use, because they work.
If the spray poly company will guarantee (in writing)  that you will obtain the soundproofing results you desire, then I would consider using the poly, but believe me, I seriously doubt that they will guarantee anything.
Thanks for the post Chris, give us a call if you decide to use the better soundproofing methods.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723