Author Topic: Band in a basement  (Read 5004 times)

Darren

Band in a basement
« on: February 28, 2003, 01:37:29 AM »
Hello....I tried to search the archives for an answer, but I kept getting an error message.
Anyway, my question is about soundproofing a basement.
I have a small ~12x10 room in my basement that I'm not using, that I'd like to soundproof for a temporary jam space. It is about 3/4 underground. Anyhow, 2 of the walls of this room are concrete covered in drywall. One has a window. Is it safe to assume this thick cement is fairly soundproof (aside from the window)? The other 2 walls are finished drywall (on the inside of this space). The ceiling is unfinished.
I've got some fussy nieghbours, with a newborn to compound the problem. This will not do, thus my questions. Their home is on the East side of mine, outside the concrete wall with the window.
I've heard great things about owens-corning 703 insulation. It is supposedly very dense and 4 inches thick. If I finished the other 2 walls and a drop ceiling with this stuff paired with heavy drywall, do you think that I would be able to get the outdoor sound levels to a point where they can't hear it in their home? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

joe

Re: Band in a basement
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 06:15:48 PM »
Have you considered playing jazz instead?  Some jazz can be quite mellow and soft, you know?  Get the drummer to use brushes and then go sss-st-st-sss-st-sss-sss-st-sss-st on the ride cymbal - if that makes any sense.  Get a stand up bass for sure.  Maybe an electric guitar (not too loud though...what with the infant next door and all).  I will post a wav file of me scatting if that would help you at all.  shoo be do wap bap bap bee bop shaa!  You dig?  What else...remember to use proper fingering.  Also: would it not be interesting to have a hall of mirrors effect whilst you jam?  Check out www.hansenwholesale.com/mirrors/ for some mirrors.  SERIOUSLY consider that.  You think you see someone RIGHT there and it is, in fact, just a mirror(!) I hope this helps
: Hello....I tried to search the archives for an answer, but I kept getting an error message.
: Anyway, my question is about soundproofing a basement.
: I have a small ~12x10 room in my basement that I'm not using, that I'd like to soundproof for a temporary jam space. It is about 3/4 underground. Anyhow, 2 of the walls of this room are concrete covered in drywall. One has a window. Is it safe to assume this thick cement is fairly soundproof (aside from the window)? The other 2 walls are finished drywall (on the inside of this space). The ceiling is unfinished.
: I've got some fussy nieghbours, with a newborn to compound the problem. This will not do, thus my questions. Their home is on the East side of mine, outside the concrete wall with the window.
: I've heard great things about owens-corning 703 insulation. It is supposedly very dense and 4 inches thick. If I finished the other 2 walls and a drop ceiling with this stuff paired with heavy drywall, do you think that I would be able to get the outdoor sound levels to a point where they can't hear it in their home? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

joe

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 06:55:35 PM »
How'd you make out with them mirrors?  lemmeknow mmk?
joe
: Have you considered playing jazz instead?  Some jazz can be quite mellow and soft, you know?  Get the drummer to use brushes and then go sss-st-st-sss-st-sss-sss-st-sss-st on the ride cymbal - if that makes any sense.  Get a stand up bass for sure.  Maybe an electric guitar (not too loud though...what with the infant next door and all).  I will post a wav file of me scatting if that would help you at all.  shoo be do wap bap bap bee bop shaa!  You dig?  What else...remember to use proper fingering.  Also: would it not be interesting to have a hall of mirrors effect whilst you jam?  Check out www.hansenwholesale.com/mirrors/ for some mirrors.  SERIOUSLY consider that.  You think you see someone RIGHT there and it is, in fact, just a mirror(!) I hope this helps
: : Hello....I tried to search the archives for an answer, but I kept getting an error message.
: : Anyway, my question is about soundproofing a basement.
: : I have a small ~12x10 room in my basement that I'm not using, that I'd like to soundproof for a temporary jam space. It is about 3/4 underground. Anyhow, 2 of the walls of this room are concrete covered in drywall. One has a window. Is it safe to assume this thick cement is fairly soundproof (aside from the window)? The other 2 walls are finished drywall (on the inside of this space). The ceiling is unfinished.
: : I've got some fussy nieghbours, with a newborn to compound the problem. This will not do, thus my questions. Their home is on the East side of mine, outside the concrete wall with the window.
: : I've heard great things about owens-corning 703 insulation. It is supposedly very dense and 4 inches thick. If I finished the other 2 walls and a drop ceiling with this stuff paired with heavy drywall, do you think that I would be able to get the outdoor sound levels to a point where they can't hear it in their home? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

james

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 04:46:35 PM »
-----
I am doing the same thing. Can someone give a good/real answer? I have some money to spend, not much, but enough. I want to do this right, thanks.
------
: How'd you make out with them mirrors?  lemmeknow mmk?
: joe
: : Have you considered playing jazz instead?  Some jazz can be quite mellow and soft, you know?  Get the drummer to use brushes and then go sss-st-st-sss-st-sss-sss-st-sss-st on the ride cymbal - if that makes any sense.  Get a stand up bass for sure.  Maybe an electric guitar (not too loud though...what with the infant next door and all).  I will post a wav file of me scatting if that would help you at all.  shoo be do wap bap bap bee bop shaa!  You dig?  What else...remember to use proper fingering.  Also: would it not be interesting to have a hall of mirrors effect whilst you jam?  Check out www.hansenwholesale.com/mirrors/ for some mirrors.  SERIOUSLY consider that.  You think you see someone RIGHT there and it is, in fact, just a mirror(!) I hope this helps
: : : Hello....I tried to search the archives for an answer, but I kept getting an error message.
: : : Anyway, my question is about soundproofing a basement.
: : : I have a small ~12x10 room in my basement that I'm not using, that I'd like to soundproof for a temporary jam space. It is about 3/4 underground. Anyhow, 2 of the walls of this room are concrete covered in drywall. One has a window. Is it safe to assume this thick cement is fairly soundproof (aside from the window)? The other 2 walls are finished drywall (on the inside of this space). The ceiling is unfinished.
: : : I've got some fussy nieghbours, with a newborn to compound the problem. This will not do, thus my questions. Their home is on the East side of mine, outside the concrete wall with the window.
: : : I've heard great things about owens-corning 703 insulation. It is supposedly very dense and 4 inches thick. If I finished the other 2 walls and a drop ceiling with this stuff paired with heavy drywall, do you think that I would be able to get the outdoor sound levels to a point where they can't hear it in their home? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Teesie

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 11:01:41 PM »
-Interesting....I'm in a very similar process...We're considering roll roofing glued to subfloor in joist cavities, another layer of roll roofing (or 1/8" SSP Mat) across all joists (leaving ~8" air gap), using the Super Soundclip & hat channel, then 5/8" drywall -- with flexible acoustical caulk along edges to concrete walls.  SOUNDPROOFING.ORG = Will this work??????  We'll have to add a couple of curtains over the egress window as well as over the door.  We're not looking for perfect, but for tolerable noise level on the first floor while the band rock n rolls in the basement (quiet jazz not an option here).  

: I am doing the same thing. Can someone give a good/real answer? I have some money to spend, not much, but enough. I want to do this right, thanks.
: ------
: : How'd you make out with them mirrors?  lemmeknow mmk?
: : joe
: : : Have you considered playing jazz instead?  Some jazz can be quite mellow and soft, you know?  Get the drummer to use brushes and then go sss-st-st-sss-st-sss-sss-st-sss-st on the ride cymbal - if that makes any sense.  Get a stand up bass for sure.  Maybe an electric guitar (not too loud though...what with the infant next door and all).  I will post a wav file of me scatting if that would help you at all.  shoo be do wap bap bap bee bop shaa!  You dig?  What else...remember to use proper fingering.  Also: would it not be interesting to have a hall of mirrors effect whilst you jam?  Check out www.hansenwholesale.com/mirrors/ for some mirrors.  SERIOUSLY consider that.  You think you see someone RIGHT there and it is, in fact, just a mirror(!) I hope this helps
: : : : Hello....I tried to search the archives for an answer, but I kept getting an error message.
: : : : Anyway, my question is about soundproofing a basement.
: : : : I have a small ~12x10 room in my basement that I'm not using, that I'd like to soundproof for a temporary jam space. It is about 3/4 underground. Anyhow, 2 of the walls of this room are concrete covered in drywall. One has a window. Is it safe to assume this thick cement is fairly soundproof (aside from the window)? The other 2 walls are finished drywall (on the inside of this space). The ceiling is unfinished.
: : : : I've got some fussy nieghbours, with a newborn to compound the problem. This will not do, thus my questions. Their home is on the East side of mine, outside the concrete wall with the window.
: : : : I've heard great things about owens-corning 703 insulation. It is supposedly very dense and 4 inches thick. If I finished the other 2 walls and a drop ceiling with this stuff paired with heavy drywall, do you think that I would be able to get the outdoor sound levels to a point where they can't hear it in their home? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

anything