Author Topic: Bass drum noise control  (Read 5291 times)

Ellen

Bass drum noise control
« on: January 26, 2001, 01:38:52 AM »
My husband and I have built a music studio. The only noise we hear outside when the band is in a jam session inside is the bass drum.  We have resilient channel between the roof joists/wall studs and the interior gypsum wallboard.  We're thinking that the noise from the bass drum loud because it is sitting directly on the 4" slab on grade.  Do you think a "stage" for the drum set consisting of a twin-size box-spring sandwiched between, say, 1/2" corkboard under it and 3/8" OSB over it would eliminate the thumping?

bjnash

Re: Bass drum noise control
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2001, 11:02:56 PM »
: My husband and I have built a music studio. The only noise we hear outside when the band is in a jam session inside is the bass drum.  We have resilient channel between the roof joists/wall studs and the interior gypsum wallboard.  We're thinking that the noise from the bass drum loud because it is sitting directly on the 4" slab on grade.  Do you think a "stage" for the drum set consisting of a twin-size box-spring sandwiched between, say, 1/2" corkboard under it and 3/8" OSB over it would eliminate the thumping?
A: Probably not, but wouldn't hurt to try it.  Y ou may want to try a temporary sound barrier for the drums: Here's how to make one. Cut a sheet of 4'X8' soundboard or Homasote in half, creating 2 4' panels. Hinge them in the middle and cover with 1" soundproofing foam. (Use contact cement). lay this "V" on it's side facing the drums. The unit can be folded out of the way for storage. A couple may be required...

Eric Hadsell

Re: Bass drum noise control
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2001, 04:26:51 PM »
: : My husband and I have built a music studio. The only noise we hear outside when the band is in a jam session inside is the bass drum.  We have resilient channel between the roof joists/wall studs and the interior gypsum wallboard.  We're thinking that the noise from the bass drum loud because it is sitting directly on the 4" slab on grade.  Do you think a "stage" for the drum set consisting of a twin-size box-spring sandwiched between, say, 1/2" corkboard under it and 3/8" OSB over it would eliminate the thumping?
If the bass drum is your only problem, why not just muffle the drum? Most music stores should carry products made specifically for this purpose.
You could use a Remo Muff'l - they work pretty well, or start using a "tone-controlled" batter head, such as a Remo PowerStroke 3 or an Aquarian Super Kick drum head. You could also go with the 'ol "Cram a Pillow Inside the Kick Drum" technique.
You might want to visit the Interstate Music website at: <www.interstatemusic.com> to get an idea of what else is out there for muffling yer bass drum.

Eric Hadsell

DUH! Here's the URL...
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2001, 04:29:45 PM »

anything