Author Topic: sheetrock sandwich  (Read 7766 times)

Gavin Fisher

sheetrock sandwich
« on: March 04, 2003, 10:18:45 AM »
i am trying to soundproof my garage to stop the sound of my drums from pissing off my neighbors. i have permanently closed the big door, bolted it shut, sealed it up, and have framed a standard 2x4 wall in front of it. i am trying to decide now how to cover the studs. i am wondering which one of these scenarios would be most effective.
#1. a layer of 1/2" durock or wonderboard topped with a layer of 1/2" drywall and finished with auralex (or similar).
#2 a layer of 1/2" drywall followed by a layer of 1/2" soundboard followed by another layer of 1/2" drywall and the auralex.

i've done the drywall/soundboard/drywall sandwich technique before and it works pretty well. i have just recently had some experience with durock and i'm just wondering if that would be better.

boborther

Re: sheetrock sandwich
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 02:25:37 AM »
: i am trying to soundproof my garage to stop the sound of my drums from pissing off my neighbors. i have permanently closed the big door, bolted it shut, sealed it up, and have framed a standard 2x4 wall in front of it. i am trying to decide now how to cover the studs. i am wondering which one of these scenarios would be most effective.
: #1. a layer of 1/2" durock or wonderboard topped with a layer of 1/2" drywall and finished with auralex (or similar).
: #2 a layer of 1/2" drywall followed by a layer of 1/2" soundboard followed by another layer of 1/2" drywall and the auralex.
:
: i've done the drywall/soundboard/drywall sandwich technique before and it works pretty well. i have just recently had some experience with durock and i'm just wondering if that would be better.
 Gavin,
I can't believe that you used the "A" word on the Soundproofing.org forum!!! Auralex does have some good products and information, but we don't mention their name on this forum...laughs...Just kidding Gavin!
Your idea of double layering materials is a good one, and also an effective one, especially if you can sandwich in a layer of the 1/8" thick "mass loaded vinyl". This would give your wall an STC rating of 40 to 45 points, basically quelling loud shouting. This is provided that you use acoustical caulk for the seams and around the perimeter of the wall/ceiling!! Try to get some Home Depot Bubba to say "acoustical caulk" sometime!! They can't even pronounce it, but you can get it form Soundproofing.org!
I think you will find our price on the Mass Loaded vinyl to be quite competitive, and our caulk in those big quart tubes is also a bargain.
Please feel free to give us a call when you are ready to begin your project.  Thanks for the post Gavin.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Gavin Fisher

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 03:00:05 AM »
ok.... but which of my sandwich ideas do you think would be most effective?
acoustical caulk is definitely on the list. i will order when i'm ready.
thx.
-g

boborther

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 09:17:06 PM »
: i am trying to soundproof my garage to stop the sound of my drums from pissing off my neighbors. i have permanently closed the big door, bolted it shut, sealed it up, and have framed a standard 2x4 wall in front of it. i am trying to decide now how to cover the studs. i am wondering which one of these scenarios would be most effective.
: #1. a layer of 1/2" durock or wonderboard topped with a layer of 1/2" drywall and finished with auralex (or similar).
: #2 a layer of 1/2" drywall followed by a layer of 1/2" soundboard followed by another layer of 1/2" drywall and the auralex.
:
: i've done the drywall/soundboard/drywall sandwich technique before and it works pretty well. i have just recently had some experience with durock and i'm just wondering if that would be better.

Gavin,
I am not completely familiar with the Auralex product you describe, though I have heard good things about their line of soundproofing materials.
I think the sandwich using the duroc would probably be the best of the 2 options. I know that Duroc is a good soundproofer, and has a higher STC than the 1/2" soundboard, though I am not positive as to the exact STC rating of duroc, I do know it to be a good soundproofing agent. I hope this answers your questions. Thanks for your follow up Gavin.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Gavin Fisher

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 09:52:02 PM »
: : i am trying to soundproof my garage to stop the sound of my drums from pissing off my neighbors. i have permanently closed the big door, bolted it shut, sealed it up, and have framed a standard 2x4 wall in front of it. i am trying to decide now how to cover the studs. i am wondering which one of these scenarios would be most effective.
: : #1. a layer of 1/2" durock or wonderboard topped with a layer of 1/2" drywall and finished with auralex (or similar).
: : #2 a layer of 1/2" drywall followed by a layer of 1/2" soundboard followed by another layer of 1/2" drywall and the auralex.
: :
: : i've done the drywall/soundboard/drywall sandwich technique before and it works pretty well. i have just recently had some experience with durock and i'm just wondering if that would be better.
:
:  Gavin,
:  I am not completely familiar with the Auralex product you describe, though I have heard good things about their line of soundproofing materials.
:  I think the sandwich using the duroc would probably be the best of the 2 options. I know that Duroc is a good soundproofer, and has a higher STC than the 1/2" soundboard, though I am not positive as to the exact STC rating of duroc, I do know it to be a good soundproofing agent. I hope this answers your questions. Thanks for your follow up Gavin.

: Bob Orther
: Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
: Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
: URL: www.soundproofing.org
: e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
: For orders only (888) 942-7723
thanks for the info. the auralex i am speaking of is a dense foam covering. it is about 2" thick and has a wedge pattern. it is a great for stopping reflections and standing waves within the room. the downside is, it is very expensive. do you have any products that would serve this purpose and save me some cash???
thanks.

its me

acoustical caulk
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 09:42:31 AM »
Nothing against this site, but go to www.roancorp.com and order Tremco acoustical sealant for a LOT less money.
Shop around for the Mass Loaded Vinyl too.  

anything