Author Topic: Noisy neighbors upstairs  (Read 3892 times)

Bob Hobz

Noisy neighbors upstairs
« on: March 06, 2003, 01:29:50 AM »
I live in a brand new apartment complex that was obviously built with only good looks in mind because it's not very solidly built. I can hear my neighbors upstairs walking around, their kids jumping around...I can even hear them using the bathroom. I've thumped on the ceiling and it sounds totally hollow. I can't ask the folks upstairs to stop living because just doing their everyday things causes alot of noise for me. What is the best way to soundproof my apartment without spending a fortune or severely altering the construction (something I'm sure the landlord will not allow). I've heard that hanging thick tapestries or rugs on the wall or nailing them to the ceiling might help. I also thought of attaching a layer of those acoustic foam panels like you see in a recording studio.
Help!
Bob

JC

Re: Noisy neighbors upstairs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 01:52:43 AM »
Bob,
I can totally relate. I live in an apartment made of nothing more that paper mache. I am woken every morning by the 'people' upstairs walking (stomping) above me. I can hear the male's voice booming thru my ceiling, which is worse than a loud television. I too can hear them use the bathroom. It is an unpleasant way to live. One more year and I am out of this place. But, I have seriously considered your idea about recording studio foam panels on the celing. I think it would be expensive and I doubt the landlord would be too keen on it - but I can only dream!
In sympathy,
JC

Bob

Re: Noisy neighbors upstairs
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 02:22:02 AM »
There must be some sort of solution that lies between ripping out the ceiling and putting in a false one, sound insulation...and hanging up acousting tiles. I also thought about a white noise generator, turning up all the tv's in the aprartment at the same time, putting headphones on, earplugs...
Someone must have come up with some idea considering how many people in the world suffer this problem.
Bob