Author Topic: Soundproof back yard  (Read 6044 times)

Tobias Harting

Soundproof back yard
« on: March 07, 2003, 09:58:10 PM »
I am trying to see if its possible to kill the noise in my backyard. My residency is on a corner lot and I get noise from busy streets. I am in Sonoma, California so what kind of wall and how high can I build? what type of materials? Cost? Where to get help?
Thank you.

boborther

Re: Soundproof back yard
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 02:18:41 AM »
: I am trying to see if its possible to kill the noise in my backyard. My residency is on a corner lot and I get noise from busy streets. I am in Sonoma, California so what kind of wall and how high can I build? what type of materials? Cost? Where to get help?
: Thank you.

Tobias,
You don't waste words, now do ya? I'll be direct and to the point too. #1) Wall, at least 8 feet above the noise source (NO EXCEPTIONS). Check for local ordinances as to the legal height a wall can be in your community. #2) Brick, Stone, or any good Masonary product. Wood, if it is all you can do, but it is a last resort.  #3) If wood is used, caulk all seams with (acoustical caulk), and make sure the bottom of the wall/fence is flush or beneath the ground a bit. Treat wood fence/wall with soundproofing foam or MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl). #4) As far as the cost, I have no idea, it depends on how much a masonary contractor will charge you. #5) Finding help: Look in the Newspaper or phone book for a local masonary contractor. Make sure he has a license, this is key!!
Well Tobias, I think I have answered all of your questions. Thanks for the post, and let us know how it turns out.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

visitor

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 08:00:01 AM »
: I am trying to see if its possible to kill the noise in my backyard. My residency is on a corner lot and I get noise from busy streets. I am in Sonoma, California so what kind of wall and how high can I build? what type of materials? Cost? Where to get help?
: Thank you.

I have the same problem but I live in Chicago. So my
noisy patio will only be a problem for 3 months or so.
I haven't tried them yet, but I just got noise cancelling headphones from Bose. I hope that they, with
a good walkman, will mean that I can use my patio. They
are $300, but worth it if they work. I know this means
nothing if I have company though.

Phil S.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 07:26:06 PM »

: : I am trying to see if its possible to kill the noise in my backyard. My residency is on a corner lot and I get noise from busy streets. I am in Sonoma, California so what kind of wall and how high can I build? what type of materials? Cost? Where to get help?
: : Thank you.
:
: Tobias,
:  You don't waste words, now do ya? I'll be direct and to the point too. #1) Wall, at least 8 feet above the noise source (NO EXCEPTIONS). Check for local ordinances as to the legal height a wall can be in your community. #2) Brick, Stone, or any good Masonary product. Wood, if it is all you can do, but it is a last resort.  #3) If wood is used, caulk all seams with (acoustical caulk), and make sure the bottom of the wall/fence is flush or beneath the ground a bit. Treat wood fence/wall with soundproofing foam or MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl). #4) As far as the cost, I have no idea, it depends on how much a masonary contractor will charge you. #5) Finding help: Look in the Newspaper or phone book for a local masonary contractor. Make sure he has a license, this is key!!
:  Well Tobias, I think I have answered all of your questions. Thanks for the post, and let us know how it turns out.

: Bob Orther
: Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
: Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
: URL: www.soundproofing.org
: e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
: For orders only (888) 942-7723
:  Bob- I have an existing wood fence with gaps at the bottom with street noise behind in the distance. Would it help to add soundboard, down to the ground, on top of the MLV or foam mat? If so, which would you recommend using, MLV or foam mat?? Also, do I need to treat the soundboard where it touches the ground? Any suggestions on disguising the soundboard?
thanks!
phil s.