Author Topic: can I eliminate gun range noise inside nearby house?  (Read 2504 times)

Paula

can I eliminate gun range noise inside nearby house?
« on: March 11, 2003, 09:39:35 AM »
Hi! We are trying to decide whether to take on a unique problem... have found a house we like very much with lovely views and various other features we'd been looking for.  The rather considerable catch is that it lies along a ridge approximately 2 miles across from an outdoor shooting range.  You can't see the range from the house, but the proximity of the range -- combined with the bowl-shaped topography of the valley in between the range and the house -- means that you CAN hear gunfire from the property.  
It doesn't worry us so much that you can hear gunfire while outside... but you can also hear gunfire, though muted, from inside the house, and we're much less happy to take the risk that we could learn to live with that.  
I understand that we could soundproof the windows... would that be likely to be enough to mute popping noise from inside the house?  I'd love an expert opinion on how much improvement we might be able to expect from installing soundproof windows/doors... and what other soundproofing methods we could employ.  Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!
Sincerely,
Paula

anything