Author Topic: Soundproofing '97 Jeep Wrangler softtop  (Read 4595 times)

Mike

Soundproofing '97 Jeep Wrangler softtop
« on: March 13, 2003, 04:21:47 AM »
What do I need?
How much will it cost?
I'm already planning on changing the half-doors to full-doors (which should stop a lot of high-speed wind noise), but how much floor/hood/door insulation do I need?
Thanks in advance for answering.
PS: If I even think of getting a hardtop, I'll be in the doghouse!

Dave

Re: Soundproofing '97 Jeep Wrangler softtop
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 08:49:07 AM »
Mike,
I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler with a factory hard top and hard doors. I drove many 97's both with soft and hard tops when I was looking for a Wrangler. There is a considerable difference in road noise with a hard top. But the noise is still LOUD. I don't think you will get good results with a soft top. Look for a used Hard Top.
I think alot of the road noise comes up through the floor also. There is after market flooring for jeeps,or get some jipsom (sp?) matting to put under the factory carpeting
There are a couple of places to get after market hard tops - J. C. Witney mail order - 4 wheel parts wholesalers are in Calif. I looked at these after market hard tops, they usualy come with inserts to make the half doors into full hard doors. They weren't the greatest compared to a factory setup. You can go to Jeep and pay around $2500 for the hard top and doors. look on Ebay and check junk yards and such.
Good Luck
Dave
: What do I need?
: How much will it cost?
: I'm already planning on changing the half-doors to full-doors (which should stop a lot of high-speed wind noise), but how much floor/hood/door insulation do I need?
: Thanks in advance for answering.
: PS: If I even think of getting a hardtop, I'll be in the doghouse!

Mike

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 06:30:04 PM »
Yeah, a hardtop will be the last soundproofing upgrade that I do, and I'll want to get a Targa top since I like the open air.
Soundproof upgrade schedule
---------------------------
ETA: when I can afford all of this
(1) install new sound mats in hood and carpet
(2) new carpet
(3) new alternator
(4) install new Sony MX-70 shockproof stereo, 6x9 Marine speakers, 5-1/4 three-ways, and amplified Marine subwoofer (neighbors will love me)
(5) full doors w/soundproofing
(6) Targa top with soundproofing
(7-7000) new seats (lowered and back further), CB, alarm system, exterior upgrades, performance upgrades, etc., etc....
Anyone have a few blank checks I can borrow?
=D

Dave

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 11:59:16 AM »
Hey Mike,
It just occured to me what we used to do in the 70's to quite down the suspension and motor noise in all of our street rods, You may even have the stuff already! Install a kicker stereo and turn it up REAL LOUD!
(SANYO PA5100's rule!)
Dave
P.S.  I put a speaker box in the back behind the rear seat in my 97 Jeep and it sounds pretty good. The speakers are facing up. I think this would be a good place to build a speaker enclosuer.
: Mike,
: I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler with a factory hard top and hard doors. I drove many 97's both with soft and hard tops when I was looking for a Wrangler. There is a considerable difference in road noise with a hard top. But the noise is still LOUD. I don't think you will get good results with a soft top. Look for a used Hard Top.
: I think alot of the road noise comes up through the floor also. There is after market flooring for jeeps,or get some jipsom (sp?) matting to put under the factory carpeting
: There are a couple of places to get after market hard tops - J. C. Witney mail order - 4 wheel parts wholesalers are in Calif. I looked at these after market hard tops, they usualy come with inserts to make the half doors into full hard doors. They weren't the greatest compared to a factory setup. You can go to Jeep and pay around $2500 for the hard top and doors. look on Ebay and check junk yards and such.
: Good Luck
: Dave
: : What do I need?
: : How much will it cost?
: : I'm already planning on changing the half-doors to full-doors (which should stop a lot of high-speed wind noise), but how much floor/hood/door insulation do I need?
: : Thanks in advance for answering.
: : PS: If I even think of getting a hardtop, I'll be in the doghouse!

anything