Author Topic: talting travels through the vents  (Read 3924 times)

Matt

talting travels through the vents
« on: March 14, 2003, 04:32:47 PM »
I recently had an 4-plex built.  Two apartments up and two down. Noise does not transfer from the side by side units due to a common hall seperating the two.  I generally do not hear the neighbors above, but they are able to hear me.  Some sound is transfered through the flooring, but more travels through the heating and cold air vents.  The heating units are all located in the basements, and the ducts for the above apartment run directly through my walls.  Can I soundproof the ducts on the second floor internally by removing the vent covers and inserting a smaller piece of duct work wrapped in a soundproofing material?  I need to do something without remodeling every wall, ceiling, and floor.  Please help?

boborther

Re: talking travels through the vents
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 01:46:29 AM »
: I recently had an 4-plex built.  Two apartments up and two down. Noise does not transfer from the side by side units due to a common hall seperating the two.  I generally do not hear the neighbors above, but they are able to hear me.  Some sound is transfered through the flooring, but more travels through the heating and cold air vents.  The heating units are all located in the basements, and the ducts for the above apartment run directly through my walls.  Can I soundproof the ducts on the second floor internally by removing the vent covers and inserting a smaller piece of duct work wrapped in a soundproofing material?  I need to do something without remodeling every wall, ceiling, and floor.  Please help?

Matt,
I would suggest that you line the inside of the ducting with a closed cell foam mat. The thicker the better (without restricting the air flow of course). The material can be glued into the inner ducting with a contact cement or similar adhesive. This foam absorbs the sounds and quells the vibration in the ducting .
Hope this helps you Matt.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Jake

Re: talking travels through the vents
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2003, 05:48:06 AM »
I've seen this suggestion here many times but how do you line the interior of ducts?  Even if they were brand new, and not installed it would still be a challenge.
Do you have any suggestions of how to line them if they are already installed in the walls?

anything