Author Topic: Noisy upstairs neighbors with cheapo carpeting  (Read 5243 times)

Janice Zazinski

Noisy upstairs neighbors with cheapo carpeting
« on: March 14, 2003, 06:15:09 PM »
First, LOVE this Web site. I've gotten tons of good information.
My problem: a strange floor plan combined with cheap building materials in my condo complex. Specifically, my condo's bedrooms are directly below the living and dining room of my upstairs neighbors, who like to come in and out at 2, 3, 4, and 5 a.m. after clumping around the living room for a while.
According to condo bylaws, they must have carpeting in those areas, which I am told they do (we are not on good terms, due to my polite requests that they take off their shoes when they come and try to be quiet, and I've never been invited in to check for myself).
I have no idea what's under their carpeting: I myself am in a below-grade unit and have concrete under mine. I suspect they have plywood.
Anyway, I'm getting pretty desperate and am considering paying to have soundproofing padding installed under their current carpeting. My question: can it be done? Can I have installed a soundproofing layer and have their current carpeting put back? I sure can't spring for new carpets for them. Thanks.

boborther

Re: Noisy upstairs neighbors with cheapo carpeting
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 01:37:50 AM »
: First, LOVE this Web site. I've gotten tons of good information.
: My problem: a strange floor plan combined with cheap building materials in my condo complex. Specifically, my condo's bedrooms are directly below the living and dining room of my upstairs neighbors, who like to come in and out at 2, 3, 4, and 5 a.m. after clumping around the living room for a while.
: According to condo bylaws, they must have carpeting in those areas, which I am told they do (we are not on good terms, due to my polite requests that they take off their shoes when they come and try to be quiet, and I've never been invited in to check for myself).
: I have no idea what's under their carpeting: I myself am in a below-grade unit and have concrete under mine. I suspect they have plywood.
: Anyway, I'm getting pretty desperate and am considering paying to have soundproofing padding installed under their current carpeting. My question: can it be done? Can I have installed a soundproofing layer and have their current carpeting put back? I sure can't spring for new carpets for them. Thanks.

Janice,
You  sure can install an underlayment beneath the noisy neighbors carpet. There is a material called SSP silencer floormat.  It is a Mass Loaded vinyl with a foam backing. This material would install foam faced down on the subfloor, and the seams would over lap. You will want to caulk around the perimeter of the floormat and in between the seams. The carpet tackless can nail right through this vinyl mat, and then you would reinstall the carpet and padding.
Depending on the square footage covered, this should not be too awful expensive. You are indeed a good neighbor Janice. Thanks for the post.
Click the link below.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Janice Zazinski

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 04:36:52 PM »
Thanks for the quick response!
I was thinking about this again, and realized I would be adding to the value of HER condo and only peripherally to mine ... at any point she could rip up any padding I put down.
So now I want to explore the idea of a new ceiling for my bedroom. Can you tell me how that works? Is the old one ripped off and soundproofing layers inserted? Then a new ceiling put up? Looks like drywall and plaster up there to my inexperienced eyes, with heating ducts here and there.
I'm sure the best solution would be to do both padding in her condo and a new ceiling, but I probably can only afford to do one. Any ideas on cost? Our bedroom is small, about 11x9.
And can you recommend a contractor in Boston, MA? Thanks again!

Victor

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 03:10:59 AM »
I have an almost identical situation.  My (recently purchased) home was rebuilt with an apartment above my bedroom.  I have tennents that are actually great, but every step they take sounds like a heard of elephants.

When the house -- originally built around 1900 -- was remodeled, they put in 4x8 sheets of quarter inch plywood over the pine tongue and groove subfloor which seems to amplify any sounds.  On top of that, they put in cheap carpet tiles with no padding.  

I cannot afford to do too much right now, but am considering new carpet and padding -- both from a sound proofing point of veiw a well as for propert value.  

How much of a difference would the sound proof pad help?  How thick should it be?  Can it be rolled down and carpet installed above it?

== I love my tenents, but can't afford to lose any more sleep.

Boborther

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 08:01:18 PM »
Victor,

The installed plywood subfloor is common, and most likely the cause for the elephant sounds that are coming down into your unit. The absolute best thing to combat this noise is the installation of a floated ceiling. This would be done using either resilient channels or the SSP sound clips and metal furring channel. You can read more about this on the website.

Foot fall noise is always diffucult to soundproof from, but the floated ceiling is very effective as it de couples the new ceiling from the floor and floor joists above. Please read up on resilient channels and the sound clips, this will give you a general idea of what you will be dealing with. Thanks for the post Victor.

Bob Orther

Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.

Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384

URL: www.soundproofing.org

e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org

For orders only (888) 942-7723[/b]