Author Topic: Heating/Cooling Noise  (Read 4074 times)

Thomas

Heating/Cooling Noise
« on: March 18, 2003, 06:54:03 PM »
Very similar to Chris's A/C duct problem.  I also get the air noise and voices.  However my main complaint is the noise from the furnace itself.  I live in a townhouse.  The main furnace is in a crawl space under the living room and adjacent to the garage and walk-in basement.  You can hear the furnace winding up everywhere in the house, and feel the vibration in the living room, and even some of the bedrooms on the third floor.  The furnace is on a concrete slab and looks to be anchored to the flooring under the living room.  Help is appreciated!!!

boborther

Re: Heating/Cooling Noise
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 01:54:54 AM »
: Very similar to Chris's A/C duct problem.  I also get the air noise and voices.  However my main complaint is the noise from the furnace itself.  I live in a townhouse.  The main furnace is in a crawl space under the living room and adjacent to the garage and walk-in basement.  You can hear the furnace winding up everywhere in the house, and feel the vibration in the living room, and even some of the bedrooms on the third floor.  The furnace is on a concrete slab and looks to be anchored to the flooring under the living room.  Help is appreciated!!!

Tom,
It sounds like you have multiple issues with your furnace and ducting. You have many options when it comes to soundproofing your furnace. One would be to build a small room or enclosure around the furnace, and then soundproofing that area alone. (less soundproofing materials needed).
Perhaps placing vibration pads beneath the furnace would help to quell some of the vibration and noise coming from the furnace and the cement slab itself. If the slab is part of the foundation, or connected to the foundation in any way, the vibration and sound could easily be transmitted through the cement slab and into the living areas of your house.
Concrete, in general, is a good soundproofer, but if sound and vibration are able to get into it's mass, it will transmit that sound readily.
As far as the ducting, you could line the inside of the ducts with a closed cell foam to absorb much of the noise which is funneled through the duct work.
Tom, you also may want to give us a call before you begin your soundproofing project. There are other ways to soundproof a noisy furnace that would take way to long to type out. Thanks Thomas.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723