Author Topic: Sound proofing a room Cheap  (Read 3759 times)

Jenny

Sound proofing a room Cheap
« on: March 18, 2003, 11:38:29 PM »
Ok I am going to be blunt with what my issue is. My husband and I currently have my mother staying with use. She is very nosey and let just say we are loud in bed. What can we due that is cheap and somewhat temporary to block almost all the noise. We have heard of using egg create mattresses and such, but we want to make sure we are not just throwing away money.
Please post a response and NO THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!

boborther

Re: Sound proofing a room Cheap
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 01:22:48 AM »
: Ok I am going to be blunt with what my issue is. My husband and I currently have my mother staying with use. She is very nosey and let just say we are loud in bed. What can we due that is cheap and somewhat temporary to block almost all the noise. We have heard of using egg create mattresses and such, but we want to make sure we are not just throwing away money.
: Please post a response and NO THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!

Jenny,
This is not all that uncommon a problem. I think your best bet would be to soundproof the entire room. This could be done using the SSP flooring (showroom name only) which is a 1/8"  mass loaded vinyl material (MLV) that would be stapled to the walls. The seams would be caulked with an acoustical caulk, and you would also caulk the perimeter of the the vinyl. Lastly, you would layer over the vinyl (MLV) with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall. This should quell the majority of the bedroom noise. You will however, need to also soundproof the door to the room. This is described on the website, see the link below.
Jenny, the egg crate foam would be a waste of money, as would the bedding foam. I think it best to give us a call when you are ready to soundproof, and we will do our best to help you. Thanks Jen.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723