Author Topic: Before installing my new laminated wood floor...  (Read 3992 times)

Atle Andersen

Before installing my new laminated wood floor...
« on: March 18, 2003, 11:41:23 PM »
Hi,
the apartment below me is very poorly noise isolated. I can hear them talk!!
There is only one layer of 12mm gypsum board in the ceiling below, wood beems and 22mm floor boards. I'm considering addin mass loaded vinyl. Would I need some kind of decoupler? Would I put the decoupler between my floorboards and the MVL or between MVL and the new laminated 14mm floor? Or both? Would adding multiple layers of MLV help? Make a sandwitch? What options would provide the best solutions?
Thanks!
Atle

boborther

Re: Before installing my new laminated wood floor...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 01:09:53 AM »
: Hi,
: the apartment below me is very poorly noise isolated. I can hear them talk!!
: There is only one layer of 12mm gypsum board in the ceiling below, wood beems and 22mm floor boards. I'm considering addin mass loaded vinyl. Would I need some kind of decoupler? Would I put the decoupler between my floorboards and the MVL or between MVL and the new laminated 14mm floor? Or both? Would adding multiple layers of MLV help? Make a sandwitch? What options would provide the best solutions?
: Thanks!
: Atle

Atle,
If the noise you are hearing is "foot fall" noise, referred to as impact noise, the best thing to do is to decouple your ceiling from the floor and the floor joists above. This would be done using the SSP sound clips or RC-1 resilient channels. Both of these processes are detailed on the website. The sound clips will double the soundproofing over the RC-1. The sound clips are a little more costly, but they are well worth the money, and they are much easier to install than resilient channels.
Now the MLV could be used in conjunction with the floated ceiling. It would staple to the new ceiling, and then you would sandwich the MLV in with yet another layer of 5/8" fire code drywall.
Atle, I am gathering from your use of the metric system, that you are perhaps in Europe. If so you may want to go to the link below. This is a soundproofing company in the UK which might make shopping a little more convenient for you. Thanks for the posting.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Atle Andersen

Re: Before installing my new laminated wood floor...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 04:38:10 PM »
:  Atle,
:  If the noise you are hearing is "foot fall" noise, referred to as impact noise, the best thing to do is to decouple your ceiling from the floor and the floor joists above. This would be done using the SSP sound clips or RC-1 resilient channels. Both of these processes are detailed on the website. The sound clips will double the soundproofing over the RC-1. The sound clips are a little more costly, but they are well worth the money, and they are much easier to install than resilient channels.
:  Now the MLV could be used in conjunction with the floated ceiling. It would staple to the new ceiling, and then you would sandwich the MLV in with yet another layer of 5/8" fire code drywall.
:  Atle, I am gathering from your use of the metric system, that you are perhaps in Europe. If so you may want to go to the link below. This is a soundproofing company in the UK which might make shopping a little more convenient for you. Thanks for the posting.

: Bob Orther
: Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
: Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
: URL: www.soundproofing.org
: e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
: For orders only (888) 942-7723

Thank you for your reply.  I'm installing a new FLOOR though, not ceiling, and I'm in the apartment ABOVE the noise source. The noise is TV, voicesm, etc - not foot fall.  I'm considering using MLV on top of my existing plywood floor before installing a new floating laminated wood floor (14mm). Would two layers improve much on one? Whould decoupling both from the plywood floor and the hardwood floor increase the efficency? Thanks again!
Atle

anything