Author Topic: Basement ceiling soundproofing  (Read 6086 times)

Dan Dixon

Basement ceiling soundproofing
« on: March 20, 2003, 06:10:40 AM »
I need to soundproof a basement ceiling with 2" x 10" joists on 16" centers.  Several of the spaces between the joists contain 6" round ducts for the first floor.  I plan to use resilient channel and 2 layers of gypsum, but what are the best options for the space between the joists?  I was planning to insulate the cavities between the joists and then tack floor mat to the joists before the resilient channel goes on. Anyone have other recommendations that would work well and not break the bank?
Also, when doing double gypsum board on resilient channels, should both layers be screwed to the channel?   Or, should the second layer only be screwed into the first layer?  Will drywall screws into the first layer of gypsum board be strong enough to hold the weight?
Last question - What can be done to the caulked corners to hide the caulk joints, but not affect soundproofing?
Dan

Jim Thorstad

Re: Basement ceiling soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 08:53:28 PM »
I saw no one responded which is a shame, I am doing a similar application in my basement over my workshop. What I have found is that the second layer of sheetrock SHOULD be screwed through the 1st layer and into the channel. This means these screws are longer than the first. What I can't find (see my post today) is what distance the screws should be apart, and what spacing the channel should be. Make sure also you get the double-leg resilient channel (vs. the single leg) for the ceiling application. The single leg is for a wall only for safety.

Boborther

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 05:29:24 PM »
Dan and Jim,

I tried to get to your questions earlier, but time did not permit.

First of all, when using multiple layers of gypsum (drywall) you indeed need to hit the RC with all the screws from the first and second layers. I just recently discovered the RC-2 resilient channels for ceiling and have heard that they are just as effective as the single legged RC-1's.
For the spaces or cavities between the joists, I would recommend a closed cell foam mat be glued with contact cement into the cavities as well as covering the entire joist. what this does is to lessen the vibrations in the ceiling, it absorbs the sound transmitted from the floor above, but most important, it seals off the dead air space in the ceiling cavity. This is a key element in the soundproofing of any ceiling or wall. You want to stay away from regular fiberglass insulation as it has a tendency to carry sound through it's fibers.
Lastly, the caulked corners and such can be taped with ordinary drywall tape, mudded and  painted as usual.

I hope this answers all of your questions, sorry about the delay in my reply.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

susan

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 10:25:52 PM »
just want to know if it worked, and how well...

thanks much

Boborther

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 11:07:06 PM »
Susan,

The floated ceiling works extremely well, especially for foot fall noise. (impact sound). You will get a minimum of a 50% reduction in sound over an untreated ceiling, and if you use the sound clips and furring channels instead of the (RC-1) resilient channels, you will double the soundproofing over floating with simply resilient channels.
Susan, these techniques are tried and true, and both are effective, one just happens to be twice as effective. Now the sound clips and furring strips are a little more costly than mere (RC-1) but when it comes to soundproofing, they are well worth the money. I hope this helps you Susan.
Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything