Author Topic: Re: Does Blown in Cellulose work?  (Read 21070 times)

Bob

Re: Does Blown in Cellulose work?
« on: May 29, 2003, 06:18:43 PM »
Mike,

From our experience, the blown in cellulose does not work for soundproofing. I have heard some people testify that it helped a little, but was not worth the money invested as opposed to the soundproofing results. It is good for the thermal value, but this material does not have any mass, which is generally needed for good soundproofing.
 Mike, I sure hope this answers your question.

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing .
Ph: (760) 752-3030
URL: www.soundproofing.org
For orders  (888) 942-7723

john bergstrom

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 03:14:44 AM »
I don't have any direct experience with cellulose, but I've read that it is analogous to fiberglass batts.  It has absorbtive qualities that will increase the STC value of a wall (by reducing coupled-cavity-resonance) by 3-6 dB.  That is assuming that the wall is constructed properly, with all penetrations and gaps sealed, which is a BIG "if" in existing construction.  And, in bulk, the stuff is pretty cheap, so it's worth a shot.

Bart

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 10:52:29 PM »
I was charged $3000 for my wall by a contractor- did'nt notice any diff.  He said to read my fine print of the contract- a magnifying glass reveals no guarantee.

If they won't specify the results, don't do it.

Black Bart

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 12:01:49 AM »
Bart:

See, your wall probably didn't have any kind of sealants and had a lot of gaps and penetrations.  That's why it's better to tear off the old work so you can seal the sucker up before putting in the insulation (if you use fiberglass, you can do the work yourself.)  You can also apply 2 layers of drywall or put up resilient channels to really kill some noise.  

It seems a lot of people think you can just throw something in the wall and magically solve your noise problem.  Obviously not.

supersoundproofing

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 04:33:42 PM »
Another reason it doesn't work is that much of the sound is transfered through the studding (joists), which normally being wood, conducts sound quite readily.  (Metal is slightly better at blocking sound).  So putting material in that airspace, even sound control material , doesn't do anything.

Idal wall and ceiling assemblies are discussed at
http://www.soundproofing.org/treatments_for_sound_control.htm

BJ Nash

skip

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 11:42:43 PM »
FIbre Glass Insullation has been used for  many years as an effective Thermal Barrier. In recent years it has been used as a sound insullation material. Major producers of Fibre Glass have gotton some good results regarding sound in their test labs. However, in the real world; most Fibre Glass installation leave the purchaser expecting better results.

There are now on both the commercial and do it yourself markets newer and better Sound Insullation Materials.

One of them is Ultra Touch a Product manufactured by Bonded Logic.

joel

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 06:59:35 PM »
Here's a quote from the latest cellulose try results i've received:
"I live in Staten Island and had dense cellose packing put into the ceiling it did not work.  Can recommend someone in the staten Island area I can talk to. "

art noxon

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 05:19:54 AM »
See:   http://www.cellulose.org/HomeOwners/Sound_Control_Insulation.php

Cellulose is composed of lots and lots of fine fibers and that's all we need to absorb air born sound.  Cellulose is very lightweight and therefore does not provide any other soundproofing benefit, outside of absorbing airborn sound.  If you added cellulose and it didn't fix the problem, it's not that cellulose doesn't absorb air born sound, it's that the solution to the problem you have does not require air born sound to be absorbed. 

Many soundproofing problems are either due to sound leaks directly thru air gaps or thru wood conducting sound.  Interesting Quiet rock 500 data shows STC 44 for wood studs on 24" centers with QR 500 1/2" sheets on both sides and insulation inside.   Now increase the amount of wood connecting the two surfaces by using studs on 16" centers with insulation inside and you get STC 37.
You lose STC 7 by increasing the amount of wood between the two surfaces by 25%. 

Art Noxon, Acoustic Engineer
Pres of ASC TubeTrap/WallDamp

anything